    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3 11:36 PM
      Om Sri Durgayai Namah!

      Tomorrow (October 12) marks the beginning of
      Navaratri. This festival is dedicated to the worship
      of the Divine Mother and it lasts for 9 days. There
      are several articles on our websites about Navaratri
      and the significance of this occasion. They are:

      1) Navaratri by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:

      2) God as Mother by Sri Swami Chidanandaji:

      3) The Esoteric Significance of the Devi Mahatmya by
      Sri Swami Krishnanandaji

      In celebration of Revered Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      Maharaj's birthday on 24th September, some recent
      photos and videos of Revered Swamiji were posted at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      LESSONS IN VEDANTA: The Master was working in the
      office in his usual undisturbed and serene manner.
      When he had finished his work he looked around and
      his eyes rested on Sri Troja of Trinidad.

      Master: "How are you? Are you all right?"

      Troja: "Yes, Swamiji, I am all right. I am trying to
      learn Vedanta."

      Master: "That is good. You must become a Yoga teacher
      when you return to your place."

      Now the Master proceeded to test Sri Troja's
      knowledge of Vedanta.

      Master: "What is Vedanta?"

      Troja: "It is the philosophy of Truth."

      Master: "What is Truth?"

      Sri Troja could not express the answer correctly, so
      the Master helped him, "Truth is that which existed
      in the past, which exists in the present, and which
      will continue to exist in the future. It is that
      which is unchangeable, infinite, immortal and
      decayless. It is the all-pervading Atma."

      Master: "What are the qualifications that a spiritual
      aspirant should possess?"

      Troja: "Selflessness; to be good."

      Master: "He should possess dispassion,
      discrimination, serenity, a one-pointed mind, faith
      and burning aspiration. After possessing all these
      qualifications, what must he do?"

      Troja: "He must concentrate."

      Master: "No, not straightaway. He must hear, reflect
      and then meditate on the Truth. He must become one
      with It, that is, he must attain Self-realisation.
      After attaining Self-realisation, what will you do?"

      Troja: "I will surrender."

      Master: "You have become the Truth, then to whom are
      you going to surrender?"

      Sri Troja found it difficult to answer this question.
      He was trying hard to find a suitable answer when the
      Master came out with a humorous remark, "Will you eat
      well, then stretch yourself and sleep soundly after
      that? No, you will preach the Truth, make everyone
      realise It and thus remove their ignorance. Is it not

      Sri Troja agreed to this.

      Master: "What is ignorance?"

      Troja: "Not knowing the Truth."

      Master: "Taking the body for the soul, getting angry,
      having pride, jealousy and hatred--all these are
      signs of ignorance. Not knowing that you are the all-
      pervading Atma is ignorance."

      The Master began joking a little. "Come here daily. I
      will teach you Vedanta. You have to accept me as your
      Guru. Are you agreeable to it? You are not willing to
      do so, I think. You take care of me and I shall take
      care of your soul. Now what do I mean by that? How
      will you take care of me? I will take care of you by
      teaching you Vedanta and removing your ignorance."

      Troja: "I will take care of your body."

      Master: "By giving me tins of biscuits?"

      Troja: "No, Swamiji, I will help you financially to
      spread your divine message."

      The Master's teaching mood continued.

      Master: "What takes place in Samadhi?"

      Troja: "It is a Superconscious State. You become one
      with the Absolute."

      The Master approved of this answer and enlightened
      him further, "The senses, mind and intellect all
      cease to function. There is no psychology there."
      (Sri Troja was a student of psychology).

      Master: "What is the mind?"

      Sri Troja was struggling to express his thoughts, so
      the Master came to his rescue, "It is the thinking

      After attending to a few visitors who had arrived to
      have his Darshan, the Master resumed his teaching.

      Master: "Where is the mind?"

      Troja: "All over the body."

      Master: "It is all-pervading and is seated in the
      heart during sleep, in the eye during the waking
      state, and in the throat during the dream state. Now,
      who is Troja?"

      Sri Troja was puzzled. Noticing it the Master
      prompted him with, "Is Troja the eye, nose or the
      body? Who is Troja?"

      This gave the clue to the answer and Sri Troja
      replied, "This body, with the mind and intellect, is
      called Troja."

      The Master seemed to be satisfied with this answer.

      Master: "Where was Troja thirty-five years ago, and
      where will he be after some time?"

      Troja: "I do not know."

      Master: "After some time you will get liberation,
      will you not? What is the Spirit? Is it alcohol, is
      it brandy? What is it?"

      Troja: "It is the essential nature of man."

      Master: "It is the Soul, It is Consciousness. Why is
      It Consciousness? Because It knows Itself and knows
      others. It is an embodiment of existence, knowledge
      and bliss. How do you know that there is the Spirit?"

      Troja: "Because of our existence."

      Master: "Yes, because you exist. If you exist then
      there must be the existence of the Spirit. Now tell
      me, while you were drinking the coffee, who was
      enjoying it?"

      Troja: "The body and the senses were enjoying the

      Master: "The individual soul, when combined with the
      senses, becomes the enjoyer and the actor. The
      original pure Spirit neither enjoys nor acts. It is
      only a witness. It is the individual soul, which is a
      reflection of the Spirit, that enjoys."

      The Master's eye accidentally fell on the clock and,
      noticing that it was late, he soon left for his

      "Upon this occasion of the external worship of the
      Divine Mother during the Navaratri, let us remind
      ourselves again and again that real worship of the
      Mother is inner allegiance to the benign destructive
      force of divine Shakti in its work of breaking our
      impure personality and giving us a brilliant divine
      personality. Let us remember again and again that
      real Mother-worship is our inner co-operation and our
      inner loyalty to the Durga Shakti which is doing its
      work of breaking our egoism, breaking our human
      weaknesses, defects and limitations, so that upon a
      field that is thus cleared, we may build a path of
      divine life, of spiritual consciousness, to lead us
      to immortality and perfection. Let us all pray to the
      Divine Mother that She may give us all the necessary
      strength and inspiration and inner power, to put
      ourselves whole-heartedly upon Her side and join in
      the work of the Divine Shakti in regenerating us, in
      annihilating our Pashutwa (animal nature) and
      bestowing upon us Divya Jyotis (Divine Light)." -
      Swami Chidananda