Birthday of Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj (2007)

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 24, 2007

      Today (Sept. 24) is the holy occasion of worshipful
      Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj's 91st birthday
      anniversary. In celebration of this occasion we
      uploaded a couple of articles on Revered Swamiji
      Maharaj. They are:

      1) Sri Swami Chidanandaji's Epochal Tour With The
      Master by Dr. Sarat Chandra Behera at

      The above article describes Revered Swamiji's pivotal
      role during Gurudev's All-India tour in 1950. This
      article is from Swamiji's biography "The Holy

      2) The Voice of Reality by Swami Gurudevananda Mataji

      This article is one of several recounts by Mataji on
      Swamiji's way of teaching. This article is from the
      book "A Steady Light: Swami Gurudevananda -- The Life
      of a Western Disciple". This article is reproduced

      We are pleased to inform everyone that we are now
      able to accept credit card payments for books and CDs
      published by The Divine Life Store. Please visit our
      bookstore at:

      The Voice of Reality
      by Swami Gurudevananda

      In June of 1970, with permission given by Swami
      Chidanandaji, I joined him in Los Angeles,
      California. It was a week filled with heavenly
      satsangs, lectures and a weekend retreat. I was,
      also, to meet with him to discuss his upcoming visit
      to our Branch in Harriman, New York. As time ran out,
      we never had our meeting, so Swamiji suggested that I
      join him on the flight to San Francisco. It was very
      exciting for me to have the opportunity to spend time
      alone with Swamiji, and to possibly be able to serve

      As the time of our departure neared, my mind became
      very restless and started jumping from thought to
      thought, losing all focus. I stood there numb, just
      watching the scene as the devotees took leave of him.
      It was the usual chaos of loving affection and
      emotional goodbyes. While this was going on, I could
      not function, not even to hold on to the things he
      had given me to carry for him. My mind was
      preoccupied with thoughts like, "What will happen if
      he misses the plane? Will I have to go on by myself,
      missing my precious time with him?" Previously,
      Swamiji had told me that he would select a date for
      my Mantra Initiation. All of this could now change or
      possibly never manifest if Swamiji were to miss his

      As I was wrapped in these thoughts of negativity,
      Swamiji suddenly turned towards me and spoke with a
      stern voice: "Stop feeling anxious, thinking that I
      may miss the plane. Be peaceful and calm!" His strong
      command shook me up and awakened me from my stupor. I
      realised the enemy of my mental equilibrium was a
      collection of tendencies developed during years of
      struggle, insecurities and preoccupation with worldly
      thoughts that had produced a mind agitated with self-
      centred concerns. Swamiji immediately pointed out to
      me, through his interjection, that desire and
      dissatisfaction are born of mental assumptions that
      are essentially false.

      With this realisation, I experienced a sense of
      harmony around me filled with a love for the others
      and a deep serenity for the situation at hand. This
      liberation from selfish concerns brought back my
      equipoise and stability, freeing me from habitual
      worries. It was a worthwhile lesson, one that would
      protect me in my future undertakings.