    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2007
      Om Gam Ganapataye Namah!

      Tomorrow (September 15) is Sri Ganesha Chaturthi
      (birthday of Lord Ganesha). There are several
      articles on our websites about Lord Ganesha and the
      glory of this occasion. They are:

      1) Ganesh Chaturthi by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:

      2) Ganesha by Sri Swami Sivanandaji:

      3) Lord Ganesa -- The Remover of Obstacles by Sri
      Swami Krishnanandaji

      In celebration of Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji's
      birthday last week, there were several talks
      (including videos) by Sri Swami Chidanandaji and Sri
      Swami Krishnanandaji posted on our website. The talks
      and videos can be accessed from:

      There is also another talk by Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji delivered during Gurudev's 108th
      Birthday Anniversary posted at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      CONCERN FOR A DEVOTEE: A devotee wrote to the Master
      complaining that he suffered from sleeplessness and
      requested that some medicine be sent to him.

      The Master suggested to his secretary, "Why not send
      my oil to him?" The Master used a particular
      combination of oils to get sound sleep.

      The secretary replied that if the oil was sent then
      the Master would not have any for his own use. He
      suggested that it could be purchased and sent to the
      devotee. So he did not take any action in the matter
      as he could not bear the thought of depriving the
      Master of the oil.

      The Master therefore called another disciple and said
      to him, "Ohji, go immediately and get the bottle of
      oil from my room."

      When it was produced, he said, "Put half of it in
      another bottle. Label the bottle: 'oil for sleep',
      give directions for using it and send a telegram that
      the oil has been sent."

      While the disciple was going out with the bottle to
      carry out the instructions, the Master called him
      back and said, "Send three-fourths of the oil to him.
      One-fourth is quite sufficient for me."

      Such was the Master's great concern for the welfare
      of his devotees!

      "The spiritual path is itself a great secret. The
      little Japa that you do, the scriptures that you
      read, the audience that you hold and whatever you
      appear to be doing, is only an outer crust of the
      mystery of life. The mystery is finally in yourself.
      You yourself do not know who is goading you to think
      in this manner. That goading principle is the
      mystery. If you recognise this mystery within you
      which mystifies even your intelligence and your
      efforts, you will be humble, simple and small before
      God, because spiritual Sadhana is an art of becoming
      smaller and smaller. It is not to become bigger and
      bigger. A person becomes smaller and smaller as he
      approaches God, just as a candle flame becomes dimmer
      and dimmer as it goes nearer and nearer to the sun;
      and just before the sun, it is not there? You cannot
      see even its existence. It vanishes. Likewise, when
      we approach God, we become smaller and smaller,
      humbler and humbler, littler and littler, until we
      become nothing. In this nothingness, we will find God
      Himself filling us. When there is total emptiness
      created by an abolition of ourselves, in this
      emptiness or vacuum created, God fills Himself.
      'Empty thyself and I shall fill thee'-says Jesus
      Christ. The Mahaganapati Purana, the Ganapati
      Atharvasirsha Upanishad, the Ganesa Gita and several
      anecdotes occurring in the Mahabharata and the other
      Puranas glorify this aspect of the Supreme Almighty
      which requires our submission at His feet, and
      expects us to recognise Him as the sole power that
      can remove all obstacles on the path of the spiritual
      seeker towards the attainment of Godhead." - Swami