    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3 3:59 AM

      Tomorrow (August 28) is the holy Rakshabandhan. There
      are a couple of articles on our website on the
      significance of this festival. They are:

      1) Raksha Bandhan by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/raksha.htm

      2) The Divine Insurance Company by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj:
      http://www.sivanandaonline.org/html/misc/rakshabandhan1.shtm

      We have also uploaded an article by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj titled "Focussing Of The Mind"
      at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/mar2007.htm

      OLD AGE AND DEATH: As the Master often suffered from
      lumbago, in order to prevent any sudden and jerky
      movements, his over-careful disciples always assisted
      him when he got up from the chair.

      An old Swami, an inmate of the Ashram, who had come
      to take leave of the Master before proceeding to
      Bombay, witnessed the Master being assisted to get up
      from the chair and remarked, "Old age is very bad. It
      is full of pain." "Then why don't you die?" asked the
      Master.

      "How can I do that?" lamented the old Swami, as if he
      was eager to die but was unable to do so.

      "Yes, how can you do so when you are going to Bombay
      to rejuvenate yourself?"

      A few minutes earlier the old Swami had admitted to
      the Master that he was going straight to Bombay
      because there he would be well taken care of by his
      relatives.

      The Master was pointing out that every man was afraid
      of death and would do everything possible to prolong
      life.

      Only a God-realised sage was not afraid of it.

      "God helps those who help themselves. The best
      possible effort that one is capable of exercising
      under the intellectual circumstances provided by God
      should be put forth, and only beyond this effort,
      should one seek the grace of God." - Swami Sivananda