    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 22, 2007

      We have uploaded an article by Sri N.
      Ananthanarayanan titled "How to Get Your Desires
      Fulfilled" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/dec2006.htm

      A DEVOTEE'S FAITH: The Master was informed by Dr.
      Mukerji that Sri Neelakantan, one of his dearest
      disciples, was seriously ill. The doctor advised that
      he be shifted to a bigger hospital. The Master was
      anxious and immediately sent for Savitri, Sri
      Neelakantan's wife.

      "The doctor is of the opinion that Sri Neelakantan
      must be treated in a more efficient hospital. Is your
      brother in Delhi? What do you say to this?"

      Sri Savitri, who was very much devoted to her
      husband, replied with tears in her eyes, "To me the
      best place is where Bhagavan lives. (She always
      addressed the Master as 'Bhagavan'). With Bhagavan's
      Grace and the treatment of the doctors of the Ashram
      I am sure my husband will get well. I came here with
      full faith in Bhagavan and I have the faith that my
      husband will be all right. I do not want to take him
      anywhere else. Will you allow me to bring him to you
      to get your blessings?"

      The Master immediately interrupted, "No, do not bring
      him here. I will go and see him."

      Sri Savitri asked, "May I send a telegram to Murali
      to come here? Her presence may comfort him." Murali,
      her daughter, was studying in a medical college.

      "What about her lessons? She will miss them," said
      the Master.

      "Yes, she has to appear for the examination."

      The Master turned to the doctor, "How can we shift
      him to Delhi? His wife and children are here. Where
      will they stay in Delhi? She is not willing to take
      him there."

      With his eyes closed, in a second the Master withdrew
      himself within and began conducting Japa of the Maha
      Mrityunjaya Mantra. The office hall resounded with
      the divine vibrations.

      After a while he said, "Ohji, arrange for Mrityunjaya
      Japa to be conducted in the temple. Let it go on the
      whole day long."

      He was informed that the priest was doing the Japa.
      "That is not sufficient. Some of the Ashramites also
      must join in." He then instructed one of the Swamis
      to go and do the Japa whenever he found the time. He
      instructed another Swami also to go and conduct the
      Japa. Turning to Sri Savitri, the Master said, "You
      also must do Japa with your children. Give him
      complete rest. Let him take fruit juice and ask him
      not to worry. Everything will be all right."

      He handed her some sacred ash to be applied on Sri
      Neelakantan. He also requested some of the disciples
      to go and help the family, and was informed that
      Swami S. was already doing so and had been awake the
      whole night.

      Turning to him the Master said, "You are old. If you
      exert much you yourself will need someone to look
      after you." He then requested Swami P. to kindly go
      and help the family.

      Turning to the doctor, the Master said, "Doctor
      Saheb, I wish you would extend your stay here for a
      few days more."

      Dr Mukerji said that he had to leave that day.

      "Then please write down the necessary treatment. If
      the medicines are not available here I will send
      someone to Dehra Dun and get them."

      The Master himself took a paper and gave it to the
      doctor, requesting him to write down the treatment.

      It was now very late, long past office hours. The
      Master was waiting for the doctor to finish writing.
      Noticing this the doctor said, "It will take half an
      hour for me to write the history of the case and the
      treatment."

      "Does not matter," came the prompt reply.

      In the evening when the Master came out, he anxiously
      asked Sri Savitri, "How is Sri Neelakantan? Is he
      better? Is he able to talk? Did you give him the
      fruit juice? Did he drink it?"

      By late evening Sri Neelakantan was much better. His
      fever had come down, his pain was reduced and he was
      cheerful and full of hope of a speedy recovery.

      When the Master reached the office the next morning,
      he called Meenakshi Amma and instructed her, "Kindly
      go and find out how Sri Neelakantan is feeling,
      whether he had good sleep, whether his pain is less
      and what food he took."

      Meenakshi Amma immediately departed and, returning
      shortly, reported that he had slept well, his
      appetite was better and his pain less. The fever,
      too, had come down.

      "First class! Is he smiling?" the Master asked, with
      a joyful expression on his face, and continued, "Yes,
      he will be able to run tomorrow."

      Swami S. now appeared before the Master, but before
      he could talk, the Master said, "Your patient is all
      right, I think."

      "Yes, Swamiji, when your Grace is there what else can
      happen."

      "The doctor was frightening him. Tomorrow he can eat
      sambar and rice. Yes, I made Lord Shiva run to him by
      the force of my Mrityunjaya Japa yesterday. So he has
      to be all right."

      Overjoyed with the news of the quick recovery of Sri
      Neelakantan, the above sentence just slipped out of
      the Master's mouth.

      "No one who thirsts for name, fame, power, lordship
      and enjoyment here or elsewhere can achieve success
      in Yoga." - Swami Sivananda