    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2007

      There are a couple of videos of Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj taken on June 2nd, 2007 at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/n-o-swamiji.shtm

      We uploaded an article by Sri N. Ananthanarayanan
      titled "Living in the Present" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jan2007.htm

      COMPASSION IN ACTION: It was a hot summer day on the
      10th of August, 1958. A beautiful, innocent-looking
      girl, hardly about twenty-two, arrived in a shabby
      white sari and asked the receptionist at the Ashram
      for asylum and stay as a "seeker". She entered a
      false name in the register.

      Night came, and after the Master had occupied his
      seat at the Satsang, the girl made the customary
      namaskar to him, prostrating and handing a note. The
      Master was always up and doing and did not lay things
      by for scrutiny later. Then and there his decisions
      were taken.

      The note in effect read: "Sri Satguru Maharaj, I am a
      sinner, a spoilt child. Unmarried, I yet carry a
      child within. I am the innocent victim of a young
      scoundrel of Delhi, a neighbour who, after having
      exploited me, deserted me. My parents are elsewhere
      but in order to supplement their income I was
      employed in Delhi, staying with certain relatives. I
      went astray, not realising the consequences. I cannot
      raise my head anywhere. I cannot return to my
      parents. I have come here to drown myself in the
      Ganges after the expression of this confession and
      penitence to thee. Bless me and save my soul."

      The Master lost no time in giving her his
      benediction, and asked her not to be rash but to wait
      and watch.

      He allowed her to remain in the Ashram till he
      thought over the matter and found a solution. Since
      she had completely thrown herself at his mercy, it
      was now his responsibility. She was given a separate
      room, food and clothing, and a venerable Swami of her
      own community was in charge of her comfort, safety
      and needs. An old lady was her room-mate. Except
      these two persons no one else knew about the
      situation.

      The Master contacted a devotee lady doctor to take
      charge of the poor girl, who was due to deliver the
      baby in October at a maternity hospital. The doctor
      very joyfully accepted the command and promised
      utmost secrecy.

      The Master then consulted a venerable couple who were
      devotees of his and were childless, to ascertain from
      them whether they would adopt the coming child, be it
      a boy or a girl.

      "Yes, Swamiji, and by thy Grace we will perform the
      adoption ceremony with great eclat. Whether the baby
      be a male or a female, it would be a divine
      blessing," came the answer from the couple.

      On the 22nd of October there came a telegram to the
      Master: "X. blessed with a baby daughter."

      Greetings and blessings were sent to the girl and a
      letter written to the couple requesting them to come
      over to the Ashram to see and adopt the baby
      treasure. All arrived on the 14th day of the birth of
      the child--the girl from the maternity home and the
      childless couple from Delhi.

      On the 7th of November the sacred adoption ceremony
      was performed in the benign presence of the Master,
      with the chanting of verses and prayers. Trays of
      sweets were ready. The baby was smiling and as
      beautiful as her mother. The girl bowed to the Master
      with great fervour and gratitude. The adopting
      parents, too, were filled with great joy. The
      ceremony lasted for about an hour, with everyone
      joining in prayers and blessings for the long life
      and prosperity of the girl, the baby and the adopting
      parents.

      The Master applied the sacred ash to all three and to
      the baby, naming her "Shakuntala", saying that he
      liked that name best. Taking the baby from the girl
      he handed it to the adopting mother with a prayer,
      "Long live Shakuntala! She will be an ideal girl."

      Tears trickled down the girl's cheeks. Overwhelmed,
      she sat down.

      Addressing her, the Master said, "Worry not, my
      child. I bless you! You will now marry suitably and
      have many more such children."

      A devotee from amongst the audience remarked, "We see
      the greatness of Gurudev only in our old age. We have
      come and prostrated to him so late in our lives, but
      this fortunate baby of only fourteen days has found
      out Sri Satguru Maharaj so miraculously and is taken
      in his lap and blessed so abundantly."

      The foster parents returned to Delhi the same night.
      As for the girl, she was now wiser and a new light
      radiated from her. She later returned to her parents
      who accepted her back with equally good grace and
      blessings.

      "To behold the one Atma or Soul in a dog, elephant,
      cow, ant, outcaste, rogue and in all forms is Jnana
      or wisdom." - Swami Sivananda