    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2007

      June 1st is the anniversary of sannyasa diksha of
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. In honour of
      this occasion we uploaded an article by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj titled "Gurudev--An Exemplar of
      Renunciation" at:

      There are photos and video clips of Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj taken in March 2007 at:

      There have been numerous additions to Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj's site since I last sent a
      message more than 7 months ago. Please be sure to
      read Swamiji's new book "The Study and Practice of
      Yoga". It is an indispensable guide for the aspirant.
      You can access this from:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      SPONTANEOUS GIVING: In the very early days of the
      Ashram, a man with hat, boot and suit, looking like a
      real gentleman, came to the Master. He was from

      He requested one of the disciples, "I want a complete
      set of Swamiji's books."

      He went on enumerating all his requirements as if he
      intended to purchase the entire Sivananda Publication

      "Are you going to pay for the whole lot here?" the
      disciple asked.

      He replied, "No, I will send the money from

      The disciple refused to let him have anything.

      But the Master said, "Give them to him. Give him a
      complete set of books. He is going to open a

      "Swamiji, he may cheat us," said the disciple.

      The Master's reply was spontaneous, "No, no. It does
      not matter. Give him what he wants."

      The gentleman also wanted two large framed pictures--
      rare pictures illustrating the Gita Upadesha--that
      were hung in the office.

      The disciple again refused but the Master instructed
      him, "Give him the pictures, too."

      Ultimately the gentleman took books worth Rs. 180,
      the pictures, gramophone records, etc. The Master was
      cross with the disciple for about two or three days
      because he did not hand over to the gentleman all the
      books and pictures immediately.

      After waiting for three months the disciple
      discovered that there was no such man in Mussoorie.
      He went to Ambala and fought with the parents.

      They said, "What are we to do? We know nothing. Our
      son is in the mental hospital at Lahore!"

      "Gurudev engaged himself in multifarious activities
      each day when he came out of his kutir to the office.
      He met visitors, entertained them, freely gave them
      spiritual literature, gave a patient hearing to their
      troubles, solved their problems, and if they were in
      distress, gave them solace. Like a great-grandfather,
      he did all these things. Yet we saw that he was
      constantly immersed in the Cosmic Being. He was
      constantly and continuously living in the Divine, in
      the Spiritual. He was a dual-dimensional marvel of
      our contemporary times." - Swami Chidananda