    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 20, 2006

      Today (Oct. 21) is the holy Deepavali day. In honour
      of this occasion we uploaded a Deepavali message by
      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/deepavali2.htm

      There are videos of Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj
      celebrating Deepavali during previous years at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/misc/deepavali/deepavali-video.shtm

      Please visit the following link if you would like more
      information about Deepavali:
      http://www.dlshq.org/religions/deepavali.htm

      A CONFESSION: The date was 11 December, 1958. In the
      Satsang hall tonight, a youth of about twenty-five
      years was ushered in by Swami Chidanandaji--one
      Suresh Chandra--whom the Master knew some years ago
      as a "problem child", and who today had voluntarily
      come forward to atone for his past sins and talk with
      honest pride about the great change for the better
      that had overtaken him.

      The Master welcomed him as "Pundit Suresh", and with
      a bewitching smile blessed him profusely. Suresh
      informed the Master that he was now a graduate (B.A.)
      and was studying privately for the M.A. He was
      presently teaching at Rishikesh in a secondary
      school.
      Today he was emboldened to come into the Master's
      presence.

      He began: "So here I am, Gurudev. Let me read to you
      from my written confessional statement in Hindi,
      which I had kept ready several months ago, waiting
      for an opportunity of expressing it."

      Suresh Chandra read the long scroll in high-flown
      Hindi, with a heavy heart and tearful eyes, but with
      faith and confidence in himself, oblivious of
      everyone except the Master.

      "Gurudev, thou knowest me since several years when I
      was considered a problem child, a 'lost son', a do-
      nothing, roaming about in the streets, irresponsible,
      disobedient and quarrelsome. I was a vagabond,
      deserving of every epithet. It was thy Grace that
      saved me, and next, Swami Chidanandaji's.

      "Thy Ashram, as the name implies, is a place which
      affords refuge to rogues and saints alike, and to
      those who seek spiritual bliss. My parents had driven
      me out of home as useless. My brothers and sisters
      looked upon me with contempt. I would not go to
      school and loafed about with do-nothings. Food and
      shelter thy Holiness gave me.

      "I was given some work to do in the Ashram kitchen
      but my childish pranks and mischievous habits
      continued. Even here I was a veritable nuisance.
      Swami Chidanandaji chided me many times, stopping my
      food and even driving me out of the premises in
      wintry cold and scorching heat. But I continued to be
      a blockhead. Swami Chidanandaji, with his motherly
      affection, always let me back with a prayer: 'Let me
      hope you will do better next time'.

      "As an urchin I had no imagination to gauge the
      greatness of a sage like 'Bada Swamiji'. Together
      with other street boys I used to criticise him,
      ridicule him and indulge in mimicry, like stroking
      his belly. I played all sorts of pranks, both big and
      small.

      "Another very bad habit in which I was an expert was
      throwing stones at monkeys and dogs and lynching
      them. On a fateful day, while I was thus wasting my
      time and energy, harassing the poor beasts and
      throwing stones at them, I was quite unmindful of my
      surroundings and the consequences of my foolish play.

      "Suddenly I heard a passer-by shouting at me
      forcefully, 'Stop, you devil! You have hurt Bada
      Swamiji.' And he pounced upon me with a stick.
      Gurudev was at that time proceeding from his quarters
      to the office for the day's work. From a distance I
      could see him bleeding from his forehead and somebody
      wiping the blood off. Even in that condition, Gurudev
      appeared cool and kind to the faults of others. He
      asked the man not to beat me and beckoned me to
      himself.

      "A salt eater of the Ashram and a servant of his that
      I was, I felt very much ashamed of my evil act, and
      for once felt deeply that I deserved and will suffer
      as a penance any indictment and punishment that Bada
      Swamiji ordained.

      "And what do you think his 'punishment' was? A pat on
      my back, a few sweetmeats from a satchel he was
      carrying, and a sermon for future guidance-'child,
      behave better. Don't waste your precious time and
      energy in this way. Do something useful.'

      "This incident was the turning point in my life and
      career. It was God-sent. Ashamed and repentant, I at
      once returned to my home and mother and resolved that
      I shall be an ideal boy, man and citizen. I shall go
      back to school and attend to my studies zealously. I
      prostrated to Bada Swamiji and Chota Swamiji.

      "Off and on I used to come from Rishikesh to render
      small services to Swami Chidanandaji and seek his
      advice and guidance, which he always gave
      ungrudgingly. My faith in both the Swamijis began to
      grow greater. By their Grace I not only passed the
      matriculation but also the B.A. with distinction. And
      now I am a teacher and efficient in many arts and
      crafts. My poverty-stricken family is much better
      off. I earn a good salary and have a good reputation.
      My students and comrades respect me. All glory to the
      two Swamijis who, by their sweet ways and divine
      prayers, wrought this change in me!"

      There was pin-drop silence in the Satsang hall as Sri
      Suresh Chandra read out his story in deliberate
      tones. The Master was very happy to listen to this
      confessional statement and account straight from
      Suresh Chandra's mouth, without any reservations. He
      hailed Suresh and called him over to himself from the
      dais. With downcast eyes Suresh prostrated at the
      Master's feet and asked for forgiveness for his sins
      and failings of the past. He assured the Master that
      he was now on the right spiritual path and only
      craved for his blessings to strengthen his resolves.

      The loving Master, ever ready and willing, blessed
      him vociferously, wishing him "still greater success
      in all his ventures." He prayed for the prosperity,
      health, long life, peace and eternal bliss of Suresh
      and his family. He then invited Suresh to wind up his
      beautiful 'oration' with his amusing comics and
      dramatic acting, which the latter did to the great
      delight of all. The audience, too, raised their hands
      to bless him from the core of their hearts.

      "If anyone injures you, forgive him and forget the
      injury done by him. You will gain immense spiritual
      strength." - Swami Sivananda