    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 7, 2006

      September 8th is Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji
      Maharaj's 119th birthday anniversary. In honour of
      this occasion several articles and video clips about
      Gurudev have been posted at:
      http://sivanandaonline.org/html/misc/sept8/video-clips.shtm

      The birthday celebration programme at Sivananda
      Ashram, Rishikesh can be accessed from the link given
      in the page above.

      In addition, we uploaded two articles on Gurudev by
      his disciples. The first is titled "Sri Swami
      Sivananda--A Composite Personality" by Sri Swami
      Paramanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/siva_composite.htm

      The second is titled "Siva--The Sevak (Servant)" by
      Sri Swami Narayananandaji.
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/siva_sevak.htm

      THE MASTER'S HEART: Not long after the admittance of
      the Sikh boy, a young man from the South arrived at
      the Ashram, prostrated to the Master, and similarly
      requested for food, shelter and some work. Again the
      Master gave his consent instantaneously.

      Somebody began to whisper, "But what about the boy's
      antecedents? He may turn out to be a traitor like
      some others before him?"

      To this the Master remarked, "Yes, I am conscious of
      the fact that some people had proved false to their
      salt and deceived me. A blind man bolted overnight
      with a harmonium from here; a postman duped me to the
      extent of Rs. 10,000, and another so-called devotee
      took away some of my books and misappropriated the
      sales proceeds. Nevertheless, I have not the heart to
      refuse such requests while several others might also
      show contempt. Somebody has to harbour such
      supplicants, otherwise, thrown into the streets, they
      would be forced to go astray in other channels.
      Sometimes I am not surprised to see a Peter, a Paul
      or a Thomas around me, but I hope and pray that some
      day even such persons would be transformed into
      saints."

      The Master then directed that the boy be admitted as
      an inmate and given facilities like the previous Sikh
      lad.

      "Swami Sivananda never came forward to teach anybody.
      Later I learnt that his method is to permit people to
      learn from his own life. I found that he went from
      Kutia to Kutia carrying curd and milk for serving the
      sick persons with his own hands and then took his
      meals late. He never relied on others." - Swami
      Paramananda