    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 30, 2005

      I sent an e-mail out on September 8th for Gurudev Sri
      Swami Sivanandaji's birthday but due to problems with
      my server not everyone on the list got my e-mail.
      Hence I am forwarding the two links that were sent in
      that e-mail. They are:

      1) An article on Gurudev by Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      Maharaj titled "Philosopher-Realist" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/saints/phil_realist.htm

      2) Audio discourses by Gurudev are now at (see the
      sidebar for the multimedia link):
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/activities/117_siva_birthday/autobiagraphy.htm

      In addition, we have uploaded a discourse by Gurudev
      titled "The Need For Spiritual Regeneration" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/sep2004.htm

      CONQUEST OF THE MIND: "I practise concentration but I
      do not get one-pointedness of the mind," complained a
      visitor.

      The Master advised him, "You can develop
      concentration through more practice and dispassion.
      Go to bed at 9p.m. and get up early. After a bath do
      a little Japa and meditation. Have another sitting
      again before you go to bed at night. Reduce worldly
      dealings. Reduce gossip. Reduce the reading of
      newspapers. Read less novels. Much time is wasted
      through gossip, newspapers and novels."

      The visitor said, "The mind is not steady even for
      two minutes. It wanders to numberless places."

      "It is the nature ofthe mind to wander," said the
      Master, "and it is your duty to draw it back and fix
      it on your Deity. Study the Gita. Follow the
      instructions contained in it. Reduce your desires and
      cravings.

      "Practise the repetition of the Divine Name. Repeat,
      'Ram, Ram' always. If you cannot meditate, practise
      Japa and Kirtan. First of all you must have
      aspiration. If you want to become a B.Sc., you first
      aspire to become that. Even so, first you should have
      aspiration for liberation. This keen desire for God
      is called Mumukshutwa. Then you must have the firm
      conviction that there is a higher life, that there is
      one Atma, one God, whose nature is peace and bliss.
      Aspiration, faith, surrender, mental renunciation--
      all these should be developed little by little. One
      cannot become an M.Sc. in a day. First one has to
      complete the matriculation, then the B.Sc. and
      finally the M.Sc. Similarly, you must progress
      gradually.

      "You should have a programme for your daily spiritual
      practices. You should study two or three verses of
      the Gita daily. Then the mind will be filled with
      purity and divine thoughts. You should have Satsang
      also."

      "O Nectar's Sons! Enough of this half-awake,
      imperfect, unsatisfactory life. Wake up from the
      slumber of ignorance and prepare to lead a divine
      life. Lead a rich life of fullness, perfection and
      all-round development. Be lion-hearted. You will get
      success in every attempt. You will reach the Goal
      quickly." - Swami Sivananda