  • pannir@dlshq.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2004

      Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj has resumed writing
      his monthly letter "President Swamiji Writes" in the
      January Divine Life magazine. Please see:
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/information/magazine/jan_2004.htm

      In addition, daily audio talks by Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji Maharaj from the Sivananda Ashram in
      Rishikesh is being made available at:
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/what's_new/updates.htm

      We have uploaded a discourse by Sri Swami
      Venkatesanandaji titled "The Meaning of Life" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/jan2004.htm

      This e-mail list is being resumed now after a long
      time (since September 11, 2003). There are no travels
      in the horizon for me until May. Hopefully this list
      will be regular until then.

      VALUE OF FASTING: A lady visitor requested the Master
      to give her some instructions.

      "Do Japa, do Kirtan and render selfless service,"
      said the Master. "Study the Ramayana and the
      Bhagavata. Enquire, 'Who am I?' Do charity of one-
      tenth of your income. Take simple food. Reduce
      chutney. Observe a fast once a fortnight."

      The lady remarked, "I get good concentration of mind
      when I fast."

      "So continue to fast occasionally," advised the
      Master. "If you take heavy food you cannot practise
      concentration. Fasting develops Sattwa."

      "Thoughts of God cheer up the body, mind and spirit.
      Names of God soothe the nerves. Love of God bestows
      peace and joy. Knowledge of God breaks the fetters of
      Karma." - Swami Sivananda

      http://www.dlshq.org/cgi-bin/mojo/mojo.cgi?f=u&l=gurudev&e=sivananda@yahoogroups.com&p=8656

      Click this link, or copy and paste the address into your browser.