    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 6, 2003

      We have uploaded a couple of articles to our website.
      The first is a thought provoking article by Sri N.
      Ananthanarayananji titled "Why do Sadhana (spiritual
      practices)?":
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/whysadhana.htm

      The second is an Early Morning Meditation talk by Sri
      Swami Atmaswarupanandaji titled "Gurudev's Way":
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/gurudevsway.htm

      AN EDUCATIVE CONTEST: The early morning university
      class was over. Ganga Prasad Sharma's presence drew
      the Master's attention. When he saw people getting up
      to leave, he said, "Don't get up yet. O Ganga
      Prasadji! O Vishnu Swamiji! Now both of you
      demonstrate your skill in the performance of Yoga
      Asanas. Let us see who wins."

      Both got ready and came into the arena.

      "Now Ganga Prasadji will demonstrate some intricate
      Asana. Do something which Vishnuji will not be able
      to perform." Ganga Prasadji demonstrated a most
      wonderful pose where the body had to be subjected to
      several awkward and difficult bends.

      Vishnu Swamiji tried but could not reach perfection.
      "Ganga Prasadji, you have won. Now Vishnu Swamiji
      will demonstrate something which you will not be able
      to perform."

      Vishnu Swamiji demonstrated Shakti Chalan Kriya.
      Ganga Prasadji could not do that. Finally, Vishnu
      Swamiji also scored a victory as Ganga Prasadji did
      not know Vayu-Bhakshana.

      It was a very amusing and educative contest.

      "These contests have another effect also. When you
      practise alone or with less proficient people, you
      slowly develop a satisfaction that you are good. But
      when you find someone who can do better than you, you
      feel ashamed. You slowly yearn to achieve greater and
      greater perfection. The goal is God and nothing short
      of it should produce satisfaction."

      "The Lord's blessings are ever with His devotees who
      chant His sweet Names and who work in the world as
      His instrument. Enthrone Him in your heart. Merge
      yourself in Him. Continuous remembrance of the Lord
      is the secret of success in life and God-
      realisation." - Swami Sivananda