    Message 1 of 1 , May 27, 2003

      We have uploaded three early morning meditation talks. They are:

      "Tap the Infinite Source of Energy" by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/tapsource.htm

      "The Real Cause of Suffering" by Sri Swami Atmaswarupanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/suffering.htm

      "A Barometer of Our Spiritual Life" by Sri Swami Atmaswarupanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/barospirit.htm

      NIRVIKALPA SAMADHI: A learned visitor had Darshan of the Master in the
      office. He expressed certain doubts which the Master readily cleared.

      He first said, "Swamiji, I want to know something about Nirvikalpa
      Samadhi. The scriptures say that a person who has attained this state
      would not publicly say that he has attained it. Then how are we to know
      that such and such a man has attained the highest wisdom or not?"

      The Master replied, "We can know it by observing his actions,
      behaviour, talk, equal vision, peace, bliss, perfect serenity, balanced
      mind under all conditions, cosmic love and steady wisdom."

      "How can he himself know that he has attained the state of Nirvikalpa
      Samadhi?" was the next question. "If his experience tallies with the
      experiences of the seers of the Upanishads, if he enjoys absolute bliss
      and peace, if he maintains unperturbed serenity of mind under the worst
      situations, if his doubts have been rent asunder, if he beholds unity
      in diversity, if he feels that he is the Self in all beings and that
      the whole world is his body, if he is perfectly free from desire for
      sensual objects, if he is not swayed by attraction and repulsion and is
      free from lust, anger, egoism, pride and attachment, he can be sure
      that he has attained Self-realisation."

      Another devotee asked, "Swamiji, God is all-merciful. Why should He
      not, out of His infinite mercy, save people from misery? Why should
      people suffer at all?"

      The Master replied, "God has given man free will to act as he likes.
      Man enjoys or suffers according to the nature of the actions that he
      does, whether they are good or vicious. God does not force His Will
      upon man. It is up to man to embrace His Will. Only when man surrenders
      his will to the Divine Will, will the latter operate in him. There is
      no coercion on the part of God. He simply waits till man of his own
      accord prefers Divine Will to his individual will."

      Swami Venkatesanandaji then said, "Swamiji, God being omnipotent, He
      can so will that man may will in conformity with the Divine Will and
      thus avoid sins and sufferings springing therefrom."

      In reply, the Master narrated the following incident. He said, "When
      the Kurukshetra war had terminated and the Kauravas were killed, Udanka
      approached Lord Krishna and enquired of Him why He sided with the
      Pandavas and brought about the destruction of the Kauravas, whereas
      both of them were His own creation. The Lord explained how He had tried
      His best to avert war and establish peace between the cousins, and how,
      only after He found that the Kauravas were bent on fighting He allowed
      the war.

      "When Udanka further asked why the Lord did not change the mind of the
      Kauravas and make them love the Pandavas so that the war could have
      been avoided, the Lord replied that people had free will and He would
      not coerce it but would wait till they of their own free choice
      developed love for Him and His Will."

      "Unrestrained senses do much havoc. Thought of the sense-objects is the
      source of evil. Sense-control leads to peace and happiness. The man who
      has revolting senses cannot meditate even for a second. Sense-restraint
      gives strength, inner peace, contentment, and conduces to steady
      knowledge." - Swami Sivananda