    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 2003

      We have uploaded a couple of early morning meditation talks. They are:

      "The Necessity of Joy" by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji:
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/joy.htm

      and

      "Ram Navami" by Sri Swami Atmaswarupanandaji Maharaj:
      http://www.dlshq.org/messages/ramnavami.htm

      We have also uploaded pictures of Ram Navami celebration at Sivananda
      Ashram, Rishikesh on April 11 and Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj's 81st
      birthday celebration on April 25 at:

      http://www.dlshq.org/multimedia/ramanavami2003.htm
      and
      http://www.dlshq.org/multimedia/krishnananda2003.htm

      NO NEED OF A GURU: Sri L. L. Bhirud, a very earnest student of Yoga,
      one who had received much valuable help from the Master's teachings and
      had thus progressed satisfactorily along the divine life path, wrote:

      "I received your kind gift of two books. I also received your loving
      letter and I am really very happy to note your enthusiasm to help me.

      "Today I want to write about the changes in me during the last few
      months.

      "After coming to Poona, I began to study the book of Sri X., which
      deals with Sadhana Chatushtaya. This book captured me at that time.

      "But now I am following the lectures and discussions of Sri Y. They
      appeal to me much. I do not find the need of belief or of a Guru any
      more. I do not like Japa. I do not think it necessary to follow the
      commands of Masters simply because they are great. I have nothing to do
      with God. I never think about God. There is no need to think about Him.
      I want to follow the dictates of my conscience. This is a very simple
      and direct way of approaching the so-called Reality. I shall consult
      others-authorities-but will not accept their views unless I find truth
      in them. This I think is a great change in me. To put it in classical
      words, I am following Jnana Yoga. I hope you will still love me as I
      am."

      On receiving the letter the Master smiled and remarked, "Here is a
      clear warning of what I said a few days ago. Here is a case to prove
      what I said. This is how innocent, diligent aspirants are lured away
      from the right path by miscreants who unsettle their beliefs and then
      leave them in the lurch. Never, never listen to these miscreants. Never
      approach the room in which their books are kept. The association of
      these preachers is as beneficial to the aspirant as is the association
      of an evil-minded dancing girl to a wealthy zamindar. Just as the
      dancing-girl drains the zamindar of his resources and then leaves him
      in the lurch, in a similar manner these preachers drain the spiritual
      aspirant of all his wealth and then leave him in a very pitiable
      condition, where the aspirant finds that he has burnt his boat in
      midstream. Beware!"

      The Master replied to Sri Bhirud as follows:

      "Beloved Atma,

      "Om Namo Narayanaya! Salutations and adorations! Thy kind letter.

      "I shall not dissuade you from the path that you have chosen. But I
      would request you to consider well before you allow this change to
      establish itself in you.

      "Indeed, it is a very good thing for one to follow the voice of one's
      own conscience. But I ask you: are you sure that at each step the inner
      voice is not the voice of your own lower nature, the voice of the
      impure mind, which is full of desires and impurities? Are you sure that
      your own lower nature is not masquerading in the garb of the voice of
      conscience in order to deceive you? One must have a mind completely
      cleansed of all dross, of all desires, of all weaknesses, before one is
      able to listen to this voice always. Believe me when I tell you that
      this inner voice will never decry your belief in God.

      "You say you have no need of a Guru. Analyse a little more critically.
      Have you not already taken Sri Y. as your Guru? Are you not already
      following his precepts? Does this not show that an aspirant needs a
      Guru at all stages? Suppose at a later stage you find some difficulties
      in the pursuit of your own present aim, what will you do? Will you not
      nun to a senior practitioner and get these obstacles removed? He is the
      Guru.

      "You say that you have nothing to do with God. But have you enquired
      who says this? Have you found out the 'I' that asserts that it will
      have nothing to do with God? This 'I' is God. Find out the real nature
      of this 'I'. Enquire, 'Who am I?' and then tell me what conclusions you
      arrive at. That is the secret. You can deny God if you are so inclined,
      but you can never deny the existence of this denying subject. This
      denying subject is God or Brahman.

      "When you sing His Name, when you practise Japa in solitude, in the
      quiescence of your own heart, you will find in that Supreme Silence the
      truth of Existence. In that Existence you will experience Ananda, too.

      "May God bless you with a direct perception of this Satchidananda!"