    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 9, 2003

      We have uploaded a report on this year's Mahasivaratri celebration at
      Sivananda Ashram, Rishikesh. Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji also
      participated in this year's celebration. The report and pictures can be
      accessed from:
      http://www.dlshq.org/announce/sivaratri2003.htm

      SADHANA IN THE WORLD: A railway engineer came in. He had a doubt to be
      cleared.

      "Swamiji, you say that we should avoid the company of a worldly man.
      Are we not all worldly men, Swamiji? If I, too, am worldly, what do I
      get by labelling another as a worldly man and avoiding his company? I
      think this is possible only when I renounce the world and come here."

      "What is there here? Is this not the world? Is Rishikesh not part of
      the world? How can you renounce the world? Where will you go to if you
      renounce?"

      These questions put the engineer in a thoughtful but very receptive
      mood.

      "What is meant by a worldly man," said the Master, "is one who is full
      of worldliness. A man may live in the world and yet be not of it. That
      is the secret. Never allow the evils of the world to get admission into
      your heart. Enthrone God in the heart."

      "I try to meditate on the Lord in the heart and do Japa. I find it very
      difficult. My mind always wanders. It has no taste for Japa," said the
      engineer.

      "Go on repeating the Name mechanically as a parrot does. In the course
      of time the Mantra-power will awaken in you a real love for God. The
      real divine feeling will lead you to Bhava Samadhi. Persistent effort
      is necessary."

      "The divine Name is an antidote to all miseries, troubles and sorrows.
      It is the sole panacea for our sufferings and calamities." - Swami
      Sivananda