    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003
      Om Namah Sivaya!

      We have uploaded a Mahasivaratri Message by Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj titled "The Symbol of Supreme Aspiration" at:
      http://www.dlshq.org/discourse/mar2003.htm

      TASTES DIFFER: In the evening some of the disciples were working with a
      petromax lantern in the office. The Master stepped in on his way to the
      Bhajan hall.

      "Come, try this." He invited each one in turn to a packet of sev, a
      savoury prepared in his own kitchen. Then he asked for the opinion of
      each disciple on the taste of the stuff.

      "Somehow the bazaar sev appears to taste better," said the Master and
      asked Vishnu Swamiji to get a little of it. When it was brought he
      said, "Now taste both and tell me the difference."

      Each one said something. One liked a little chilly added to the sev,
      another said that it was not good, and so on. The Master summed up
      everything with a profound truth: "Tastes differ."

      And so the consumption of the sev went on.

      "Can anyone tell me what exactly is the taste of the savoury?" the
      Master posed a question.

      All merely looked at each other in bewilderment.

      "I think it is quite impossible to make you understand how I feel about
      it. To each one of us the taste is essentially different. Each one's
      experience of the taste is different. You alone know it. You experience
      it but you cannot really express it. Such is the Atma, too. Therefore,
      realise It yourself."

      "There is no rebirth after attaining wisdom. This is a general rule.
      But there is birth for those who have a mission to fulfil." - Swami
      Sivananda