    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 29, 1999
      Date: Sun, 7 Sep 1997 16:00:31 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pkanagar@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (34)

      In this month's discourse, Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj answers the following
      question:

      "Man's actions are determined to a certain extent by his Prarabdha
      (fructifying works), yet he is free in his Kriyamana Karmas (current
      works). What is the line of demarcation? How far the Kriyamana Karmas can
      bear fruit and how far they are determined by Prarabdha? When a man fails
      to achieve a desired object, is there a way to find out whether the
      failure was due to Prarabdha or to deficiency or incompetency of his
      effort? At what stage a man should stop his effort, when they are supposed
      to be useless because of his Prarabdha?"

      The discourse titled "Prarabdha and Purushartha (Fate and Self-effort)" is
      at http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/discourse/sep97.htm

      THE ONE BECOMING MANY: "That was how the universe was created," said the
      Master. "There was only the One in the beginning. The One willed to become
      many. Instantly there were many."

      The occasion was the breaking of a glass tumbler by a visitor!

      Everybody laughed!

      "Pray to the Lord from the core of your heart: 'I am thine. All is thine.
      Thy will be done. I am an instrument in Thy hands. You do everything. You
      are just. Grant me faith and devotion.'" - Swami Chidananda