    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 6, 2002

      We have uploaded an article by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      titled "Practice of the Remembrance of God" at:

      Please remember to sign up for 3rd Global International Japa Yajna
      (Dec. 31) in appreciation of all Sages, Seers and Saints at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      ps. I am still on travel with limited access to the internet.

      GLORY OF SERVICE: Dr. Behari Lal's letter had not been attended to
      promptly. To the Master it was an occasion for imparting a lesson to
      his children.

      "Even after such long training our inmates have yet to learn more about
      the art of service. The organisation is growing daily. Everyone should
      work like bees, tirelessly and with intense zeal. Someone who had run
      away from the Ashram and fallen into evil ways, it seems, remarked that
      I did not teach him any philosophy! Why, what need is there for all of
      you to be taught? The very work, if you do it sincerely and with all
      your heart and soul, is enough. Just see how I am working day and
      night. You yourself will have to watch keenly and learn. The talks and
      discourses that you listen to will not impress you as much as an
      example would.

      "Service, service--this should always be your motto. The moment I get
      an address, see how I serve. Immediately I enter it in my register. I
      send a copy of the magazine, a packet of leaflets, a book, prasad and a
      letter, too. Thus the Lord's Name and the divine life message have been
      taken to another household. This should be your motto also. You should
      eagerly wait for every opportunity of serving. I have to extract work
      from you every time. Some of you have yet to feel that all work is your
      own, that the whole Society is your own, and that it is all His

      "Avatar--as will come at special times of stress and strife. Perhaps
      the birth of an Avatara is imminent. But now we should all take on the
      duties of an Avatara. In fact all the saints of today are Amsa-Avataras
      and we are all their helpers. We should ourselves feel that the divine
      spark is in us and work hard. Each one of you should do what an Avatara
      would do. Then the divine spark in you will burst forth into a

      "Can I not sit in a closed room and pursue the 'who am I?' enquiry? But
      the bliss that I get out of this untiring service of aspirants is, so
      to say, much greater than the bliss of meditation. The point is this:
      through this service people are benefited. There is infinite expansion
      of the heart. What great service Lord Krishna did! That should be your
      ideal. Serve, serve and feel that the divine spark is in you. Feel that
      you are preparing the ground for an Avatara to come.

      "I assure you that you will get immediate liberation if your body falls
      off while you are engaged in the service of humanity. If the body dies
      while you are carrying water to the temple, at that very moment you
      will attain final liberation. Fear not and serve!"

      "If you want to enjoy peace and happiness, practise this simple
      Sadhana. Adapt, adjust and accommodate. Lack of this divine quality of
      adaptability is the cause for disharmony, quarrels, riots and wars." -
      Swami Sivananda

      To subscribe to this mailing list send a blank
      e-mail to: sivananda-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To unsubscribe from this mailing list just send an
      e-mail with the subject: unsubscribe
      to: pannir@...