    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 20, 2002

      We have uploaded a talk by Sri Swami Atmaswarupanandaji Maharaj. The
      title of the talk is "A New Angle of Vision":
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/newangle.htm

      The 3rd Global International 24 Hour Non-Stop Japa Yajna of the
      Sacred Maha Mrityunjaya Mantra for World Peace and Spiritual Upliftment
      of all has been announced for the 31st of December. Details about the
      yajna as well as information on how to participate has been posted at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/japayajna.htm

      I am going to be away again on travel for the next 2-3 weeks. Please
      excuse me if I am unable to respond to e-mails during this period.

      GLORY OF A SPIRITUAL LIFE: Sri Hem Kant's brothers had come with the
      intention of taking him away. Hem came into the office with one of the
      brothers.

      "Do you wish to go?" the Master asked Hem.

      "Yes, Swamiji, I might go for a few days and then return."

      "Then you are at perfect liberty to take him," said the Master to his
      brother.

      Turning to Hem, the Master said, "If you wish to come and remain here
      you should make a thorough self-analysis and find out if your
      dispassion is ripe. You should clearly understand the difficulties that
      you will have to encounter on the path. Renunciation is not a joke.
      Tomorrow if you fall sick and find that you are not as fondly attended
      to here as you had been in your own home, you should not regret having
      taken the step. You must be prepared to undergo any sort of suffering
      for the sake of God-realisation. This is the greatest aim in life. So,
      consider deeply before finally making up your mind to stay here."

      While both the brothers were leaving the office the Master called Hem's
      brother again.

      "What made you make the trip all the way from Guahati to Rishikesh?"

      "Swamiji, our mother is greatly upset on account of Hem's absence.
      Everyone at home is miserable. So I was asked to fetch him back."

      "It is a good thing, because you have had a Ganges bath which you might
      not have had otherwise. You have done some Japa Sadhana on the Ganges
      bank also. But why should the parents be worried? He is not dead. He is
      alive and very much so; perhaps only now he is really alive.

      Do you call a worldly life of misery life at all? Here he was leading a
      spiritual life, a blessed life devoted to God. Why should the parents
      be anxious? Has he committed any crime? On the other hand they should
      be happy that one of their sons has taken to the spiritual path.

      "He is not the only son; he has two brothers. The progeny will be kept
      up by them. Why should he also procreate? Here he will do something
      which no one has done-he will do Sadhana to have Self-realisation. Is
      it inferior to studying for the B.A. and later on rotting in an office
      as a clerk? Tell your parents from me that if two sons remain in the
      family to look after the parents in their old age and to keep up the
      progeny, at least one should lead a life of renunciation and strive to
      attain God-realisation. You also can spend your life of retirement
      here; so can your parents. What a great blessing it will be!"