    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2002

      We have uploaded Diwali Greetings from Guru Maharaj Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji at:

      Swami Yatidharmanandaji has also provided us with the latest updates of
      activities at our headquarters at Rishikesh as well as news of Guru
      Maharaj. This has been posted at:

      Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj's article on the Diwali festival
      (which is tomorrow Nov. 4) has been posted at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      A STRANGE VERDICT: Early one morning a "divine tribunal" was
      constituted. Someone had a little misunderstanding with another--a
      slight rub, a hitch and the distant rumbling of the clouds of discord
      was heard.

      The Master patiently heard both sides. All awaited the verdict. But it
      proved to be a very strange one!

      To the accused the Master said, "In the field of active work alone does
      man come face to face with his own inner contents. The inner nature is
      dormant while one is away from the battlefield. But when favourable
      opportunities present themselves, these hidden inner traits manifest.

      "There must be some truth in what the other man says. This is the
      attitude that every aspirant should adopt. Then he should sit and
      reflect and analyse his own mind. He should find out what hidden traits
      in his nature have been pointed out."

      To the accuser the Master said, "Some people's nature is sensitive.
      They are too highly strung. But we should not consider that a defect in
      them and prick it. We should mind what we do. We should on our part
      understand and respect such a nature.

      "A person's sensitive nature feels that something that you said is
      offensive. At once you should be thankful to him. Thank the man who
      points out your defects. This is the basic virtue that every aspirant
      should cultivate and develop. Then only is there an opportunity of
      improving oneself.

      "If everyone aspires to be an aspirant there will never be any
      complaint, rub and quarrel. An aspirant's attitude should always be to
      work selflessly, to aspire to be a good and perfect Sadhu. There will
      then be no need to revolt. God has given us all comforts. You never
      feel the pinch of hunger; you never suffer insecurity nor expose
      yourself to the mercy of Nature, because you have here a prosperous
      institution to care for you like a loving mother.

      "I have known what it is to run to an alms-house to take my alms. I
      have known what it is to sleep on the roadside. Such experiences should
      be continuously held before the mental eye of an aspirant. They are the
      principles of a Sadhu's life. We should compare our condition with that
      of the Rishikesh Sadhus. We are a thousand times more comfortable than
      they are. We should be thankful to God for this. The complaining
      mentality should go."

      To both the Master said, "This incident reveals the fact that there is
      somewhere a disharmony of hearts. A quarrel arises only when there is
      this disharmony. Otherwise the accuser refuses to accuse and the
      accused readily admits his faults. There would then be no need for law
      courts. All people should develop this 'one-family' spirit, then these
      quarrels will cease. There should be a harmony of hearts. Your heart
      should beat in union with all hearts; you should love all. Once there
      is a rupture it is very difficult to patch it up. But it is quite
      possible. What is required is a continued, uniform and prolonged
      approach with love, so that the other party will have time enough to
      get over the grudge and suspicion of your inner motive of love. And
      ultimately he will understand your true nature."

      "Hanker not after sensual pleasures. Know that the Infinite alone is
      bliss. There is no pleasure in the little things of the world." - Swami

      To subscribe to this mailing list send a blank
      e-mail to: sivananda-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To unsubscribe from this mailing list just send an
      e-mail with the subject: unsubscribe
      to: pannir@...