    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2002

      We have uploaded a discourse by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      on the essence of Vedanta. The article titled "Gist of Vedanta" is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/aug2002.htm

      A German translation of Sri Gurudev's "Hindu Fasts and Festivals" has
      been uploaded to:
      http://www.sivananda.de/Buecher/HinduistischeFest/hinduistischefesttage.htm

      HOW TO BE PEACEFUL: Chidanandaji was coming down along the hillock with
      the Master after the night Satsang. The Master noticed this and
      enquired of the reason.

      "Nowadays, Swamiji, I am sleeping near the kitchen." This was after he
      had taken over as general secretary of the Society.

      "Why?"

      "Much of the misunderstanding and ill-will among the inmates has its
      origin in the kitchen, Swamiji. Nowadays I spend most of my time in or
      near the kitchen so as to be on the spot to smoothen out matters."

      "No, no, Chidanandaji," said the Master, "do not worry yourself over
      these matters. The kitchen is a tiresome business. You will waste all
      your precious energy on silly things. No, no. Do not come down. Just
      supervise the work for a few minutes everyday. You should go on with
      your study, meditation and other practices. I myself have much
      experience of kitchen-politics, but I am indifferent. God's Will be
      done. If He wants, then people will remain here, otherwise not.

      "I am always peaceful because I am prepared for anything. If all the
      aspirants go away I will take my alms in the alms-house or in some
      houses here and remain in the room. I will serve the few patients that
      come to me. If some devotee would like to print, I will give him some
      of my writings. The rest of the time will be my own. If just two or
      three hundred rupees come every month, then I will keep a few hard-
      working aspirants and run the show on a small scale. If lakhs and
      crores come, then I am prepared to expand the work to any magnitude. I
      am prepared for anything, so I am always peaceful. You also should be
      indifferent to these things. From tomorrow just remain in your room and
      supervise the work. Do not bother yourself always about finance and the
      kitchen."