    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 20, 2002

      Over the last few months several new books were released at the Sivananda
      Ashram. Given below are the titles of the book along with the URL where
      further information has been posted:

      1) From Man to God-Man (Biography of Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji) by N.
      Ananthanarayanan
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/eo6.htm

      2) The Holy Stream (Biography of Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji with
      rare pictures of Guru Maharaj) by Dr. Sarat Chandra Behera
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/eo1.htm

      3) Easy Path to God-Realisation by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es310.htm

      4) Pearls of Wisdom by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es308.htm

      5) Constipation - Its Causes and Cure by Swami Sivananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es311.htm

      6) Renunciation-A Life of Surrender and Trust by Swami Chidananda
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/ec68.htm

      We have also posted a chapter from The Holy Stream entitled "The Life
      Divine" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/chidadivine.htm

      RUNNING AN ASHRAM: The Master gave some precious instructions to Swami
      Chidanandaji about the conduct of the Society's affairs and the
      maintenance of the Ashram.

      "No one should feel estranged in the Ashram. Everyone has so many
      faculties. There is the capacity also to do something grand. The Will of
      God also guides them. But the difficulty is that when a man leaves his
      hearth and home, his wife and children, his parents and relatives, his
      wealth and position, he feels that he is entitled to be independent and
      refuses to be dominated. We should appreciate that, or at least recognise
      its existence. Personally, each aspirant should take care that this
      independence does not blossom forth into arrogance. Those who run the
      institution should not hurt the individual's feelings or make him feel
      that he is being looked down upon. Each department, the moment you entrust
      it to a particular person, should be almost independent.

      "There is a difficulty in this. For instance, we have here the Ayurvedic
      Pharmacy, the Publication League, etc., where saleable articles are
      stocked. If those who handle these things are left to themselves, Maya
      will spread her net over them and instigate them to pilfer, thus ruining
      themselves and also the institution. The system should be foolproof and
      there should be frequent checking also.

      "This should not lead us to adopt a suspicion complex. If those who are
      responsible for the various departments feel that they are being watched
      over with suspicion, their interest and zeal will be lost. Just once in a
      while have an inspection. It is not only good for the institution but also
      prevents individuals from falling a prey to evil.

      "Every inmate should be made to feel that this Ashram is his own home.
      Those who do not belong to your own caste, creed, community or group
      should be specially looked after. They should be made to feel that they
      are in fact looked after better here than they would be in an Ashram
      predominated by their own people.

      "And there should be a sort of tribunal to settle disputes and grievances
      and listen to complaints. It should meet once in a while and iron out
      differences that may crop up.

      "Old workers, I mean both those who are aged and those who have served the
      institution for a long period, should be well looked after. If an aspirant
      has served with devotion for three or four years and has been very useful,
      the Society should attend to his needs till the end of his life. What
      little service he can render to the Society, he should do voluntarily.
      There should be no extraction of work from such aspirants. They should be
      allowed to meditate and progress in their Sadhana.

      "But this should not bring about an effeminate attitude in you. Some
      people have an intriguing nature. They will create parties, cliques and
      troubles. To them say, 'Om Namo Narayanaya, Swamiji Maharaj! You can leave
      the Ashram.' These vipers should not be allowed to poison the atmosphere
      and create internal dissensions.

      "These are just some thoughts that occurred to me. Keep them in mind. The
      organisation has grown worldwide, beyond our own expectations. It is
      better, therefore, that we adhere to certain principles. The whole world
      looks to us for guidance. So it is essential that the main hub of the
      institution be efficient and run on systematic lines.

      "I have a feeling that even if all of us disappear from the scene, the
      Lord's Will will work itself out through other instruments. But this
      should not lead us into complacency. We should exert our utmost to do our
      bit."

      "Develop fiery determination, an iron will, burning dispassion and
      yearning for liberation. You will realise the Truth right now." - Swami
      Sivananda