    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 10, 2002

      We have uploaded the biography of Mira Bai by Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji Maharaj. She is considered to be an incarnation of Radha and
      one of India's great saints. This article is:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/saints/mirabai.htm

      VEDANTIC SADHANA: An intellectual friend who had accompanied Sri Pindi
      Dassji, the manager of the Kali-kamliwala alms-house, had a desire to know
      about things concerning the Self. Even as both of them entered the hall,
      the Master welcomed them with his natural hospitality and entertained them
      with fruit and tea. He then enquired about their welfare.

      "Swamiji, I wish to ask you some questions on the spiritual side. May I?"

      "Of course you are welcome."

      "I wish to know from you, Swamiji, how I can develop Cosmic
      Consciousness."

      The Master looked at the questioner as if measuring him with his eyes.
      After a couple of minutes came the laconic reply, "Meditate on formulae
      like, 'I am not the body, I am not the mind. I am the Absolute Brahman. I
      am omnipresent, omnipotent and omniscient. I am of the nature of
      Satchidananda'. As these ideas sink deeper and deeper into your mind, you
      will enjoy Cosmic Consciousness."

      "In that case, Swamiji, how am I to be sure that I am not merely
      hypnotising myself by means of these auto-suggestions? That which is
      beyond the mind and senses cannot be attained through the workings of the
      mind. In that case even meditation becomes impossible."

      "Yes, you are right. If you get into these arguments you will come to an
      impossible state. Some sort of autosuggestion is necessary in the
      beginning, till you reach the stage of intuitive perception. These
      formulae have been culled from the Upanishads, which are the utterances of
      seers and are therefore eternal verities."

      At this stage Sri Pindi Dassji interrupted and asked, "Swamiji, how are we
      to ensure that this consciousness is kept continuously? When we meditate
      the consciousness is sometimes aroused, but when we turn to our work it
      vanishes."

      "You have to go on with the practice. The development of divine virtues is
      necessary. The mind does not like to meditate on God. It always flows
      outside, but the Yogi tries to take it to its own source. That is Yoga.
      You have to cajole the mind and coax it to practise meditation.
      Discrimination and dispassion are necessary. Then you will acquire an
      intense desire for liberation. Then and then alone will the mind long to
      realise the Supreme."

      The visitor put another question, "Some philosophers and Yogis say that
      the Atma is not attained through all these practices, Swamiji. Their view
      seems to be, as I said, that That which is beyond the body, mind and
      intellect cannot be attained through effort with these."

      "Quite true, that is what the Sruti also says. The Sruti positively hints
      at the doctrine of Grace. God's Grace is necessary, otherwise nothing is
      possible."

      Sri Pindi Dassji asked, "But how are we to deserve His Grace, Swamiji?"

      "Exactly! That is the point. You have to deserve the Grace and invite it
      to descend on you. Therefore, all these spiritual practices are
      prescribed. First acquire the divine virtues, then do reading, reflection
      and contemplation. Then you will have Cosmic Consciousness."

      "That is a long, long process, Swamiji. We want a shortcut, a royal road."

      "That short-cut and royal road is daily meditation. Get up at 4a.m. This
      period is very favourable for meditation. Meditate on Vedantic formulae.
      Try as far as possible to keep up the thought of Brahman throughout the
      day. You will get established in It eventually."

      "I have read almost all the works of Rama Tirtha," said Sri Pindi Dassji,
      "and many other works on philosophy, but you have very beautifully cleared
      my difficulties as none others could."

      "Rama Tirtha was at first a Bhakta and later became a Vedantin. I have
      heard that he used to dance on the sands of Brahmapuri with tinklers
      around his ankles.

      "There is no difference between Bhakti and Vedanta. Bhakti eventually
      leads to the same realisation of Cosmic Consciousness as Vedanta.
      Tulsidas, Kabir and many other Para Bhaktas had that realisation.

      "The mind wants something upon which to lean. That is why Patanjali
      insisted that a Yogi should have Om as his Mantra and meditate on its
      significance. Om is the name of Brahman. Om is Satchidananda. Om is
      omniscience and omnipotence. It is light, joy and peace. Meditate on these
      ideas, then you will enjoy Brahmic Consciousness. There is no doubt about
      this. Behind all names and forms you will then perceive the nameless and
      formless Brahman."

      "Mira Bai wafted the fragrance of devotion far and wide. Those who came in
      contact with her were affected by her strong current of Prem (Love). Mira
      was like Lord Gauranga. She was an embodiment of love and innocence. Her
      heart was the temple of devotion. Her face was the lotus-flower of Prem.
      There was kindness in her look, love in her talk, joy in her discourses,
      power in her speech and fervour in her songs. What a marvellous lady! What
      a wonderful personality! What a charming figure!" - Swami Sivananda