    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 2002

      We have uploaded an article by Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Introduction to the Yoga Vasistha". The Yoga Vasistha has been considered
      by some as perhaps the most elaborate exposition of philosophy and
      religion ever written under the sun. This article is at:

      A number of people have asked me about Swami Venkatesanandaji's
      translation of the Yoga Vasistha, i.e. "The Supreme Yoga". This book is
      currently out of stock at the DLS headquarters. However I have seen it for
      sale at: http://www.dkagencies.com/
      You can do a search for Venkatesananda to locate the book.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      WHILE IN MALAYA: A doctor from Malaya (known as Malaysia now) arrived with
      his wife. After reverently touching the feet of the Master, he said,
      "Swamiji, I had the rarest good fortune of living in the same bungalow
      that was occupied by you during your stay in Malaya."

      "Is that so?" enquired the Master.

      "Also, Swamiji, the tulasi that you had planted outside is still being
      worshipped, and every day till I left Malaya I used to light the lamps
      placed around the tulasipeetham."

      It is customary in Hindu households to have a small tulasi-altar in the
      courtyard. The tulasi is very sacred and is dear to the Lord. Its glory
      has been sung by Indian sages. The Master, who was a prosperous doctor in
      Malaya before his renunciation of that life, was very religious and took
      great delight in observing all these customs that had been handed down
      from generation to generation.

      "Yes, yes, even after I had left Negri-Sembilan, Dr Parsons used to tell
      me that every time he visited the place he noticed that the tulasipeetham
      was being maintained. I am very glad to hear that."

      Then the doctor and the Master fell into a discussion of the good old days
      and about their mutual friends.

      "Swamiji, you know very well that no one in Malaya, especially among those
      who had gone from India, was free from the three evils of wine, woman and
      tobacco. All over Malaya you alone had acquired the unique distinction of
      having been the single man who was untouched by these evils. It is a great

      "To make the mind obey you is spiritual discipline." - Swami Sivananda