    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 29, 2002

      We have uploaded an article by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      titled "Rays From the Light Fountain". This is an inspiring article on
      overcoming difficulties and failures to reach the summum bonum of life,
      viz. God-realization. This article was given for publication to Sri
      Richard Levy in 1970 in Los Angeles, USA by Guru Maharaj. Thanks to Sri
      Richard Levy for sharing it with all of us. This article is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/raylightfountain.htm

      "ALL SOULS' DAY": After the morning class was over the Master suddenly
      confronted the Ashramites with a suggestion.

      "From now onward the first of every month will be observed at the Ashram
      as 'All Souls' Day'. We should offer special prayer for the peace of all
      departed souls. In this modernised, materialistic world, Dharma has long
      ago been lost. Many religions have come into being in India itself that
      vehemently condemn the practice of ancestor-worship, Tarpana and Shraddha.
      The departed souls are in great grief. They naturally look to us to help
      them. We must do this."

      An aspirant mentioned that a spiritualist who visited the Ashram recently
      had contacted several departed souls, who declared that they were
      eternally grateful to the Master for his Kirtans and prayers for their
      peace. They said that they had received great benefit through his mercy.

      Another incident had already been chronicled--that of Sri Gauri Prasadji's
      late grand-daughter--who rejoiced in the Master's Kirtan.

      "The programme will be," the Master continued, "in the morning we should
      arrange for consecrated food-offerings for the departed souls. There will
      be a special worship in the temple. We can have poor-feeding and feeding
      of the Sadhus also. In the evening there will be a special Ganga worship,
      when lights will be floated in the Ganga in the names of the departed
      souls. There should be special illumination in the temple."

      "More expenses!" someone thought.

      The Master at once read the thought and said, "Ohji, don't worry about the
      funds. They will come. When the manes are pleased they will goad their
      descendants to contribute to the Society. When old people hear of this
      arrangement they will allot some portion of their properties to the
      Society in their wills. Our motive should be pure. We should always
      endeavour to serve all with selfless love. God will look after us."

      "Swamiji, you are perfectly right," said an aged inmate. "Since we started
      the worship in the temple the Ashram has attained rare heights of
      prosperity. Who would have expected the growth of the Ashram so rapidly?
      So many cottages, so many typewriters, so many books--all these are no
      joke. Surely they are all indications that the Devas are highly pleased.
      The Lord also is highly pleased with the worship here."

      "I told you that Lord Shiva has run away from Kailas and taken His
      permanent abode in the Viswanath temple here, because of the ceaseless
      chanting of the Rudram and Chamakam," remarked the Master.

      "But, Swamiji," slowly put in another aged devotee, "you are an Advaitin.
      Why should you encourage these Karmas? Where are the departed souls and
      how are we to please them?"

      "That is the mistake you commit. Do not mix absolute truths with relative
      activities. As long as the body is there, as long as you think of it,
      adorn it, feed it and look after it, you are in the relative plane only.
      You can by all means study and try to understand Vedanta, but you should
      not attempt to bring it to Vyavahara (worldly existence). When you have
      converted this body into a worn-out leather bag, to be used or discarded
      at will, then you can discard all these Karmas also. Till then you have to
      believe in and carry out all these actions."

      "In our effort to attain perfection, failure may assail us many times.
      This doesn�t matter. Failure is not a sin. It is giving up effort that
      sinful. Failing is not a great fault. But wanting to sit down where one
      has fallen, refusing to rise up and struggle on, that, indeed is a bad
      fault. Ultimately, success is built over failure, won by persevering
      effort." - Swami Chidananda