    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 25, 1999

      Salutations and prostrations.

      This month's discourse, "Spiritual Life Should Be Vital and Alive" by
      beloved Gurudev, Swami Chidanandaji, makes us take a good look at our
      attitude towards our Sadhana. Gurudev also gives us instructions to steer
      it back in the right direction. The URL is

      I have also included Gurudev's talk on "Yoga and Christianity". In this
      talk, Gurudev explains how Yoga can be incorporated into any religion. The
      URL is

      Sivananda Day-to-Day is now being archived at
      courtesy of Shree Devi Kumar.

      Yours in service of Gurudev,

      IS REBIRTH TRUE? "Swamiji, what is your conclusive opinion about rebirth?
      Do you really believe in rebirth?" asked Sri Asvatthanarayanan.

      Surprisingly enough, the Masters first reaction was a bit stern.

      "What! Having been born a Hindu and having the blood of great sages
      coursing through your veins you still entertain this doubt in your mind?"

      Immediately the Master resumed his serene, happy countenance and
      continued, "Yes, undoubtedly there is rebirth.

      First of all, you have several miraculous instances of young boys and
      girls suddenly exhibiting great knowledge. A young girl who has never
      studied any book recites the Gita. How do you account for it except by the
      fact that she had mastered the Gita in her previous birth and that through
      the Grace of the Lord that knowledge has come to the conscious part of her
      mind in this birth too.

      Further, rebirth is a necessity for the souls evolution. Perfection cannot
      be achieved in one birth. Even to develop some cardinal virtues it might
      take several births. If you wish to attain Self-realisation you have to
      achieve perfection in all virtues. You have to achieve perfect
      self-purification. So rebirth is a necessity for the individual souls

      "Swamiji, please explain to me how the impressions of actions and desires
      are transferred from one embodiment to another."

      "Have you seen the caterpillar moving from one leaf to another? It will
      reach the edge of one leaf and then project itself; it will catch hold of
      another leaf and then only will it leave the first one entirely. The soul
      also goes about like this. Even before it leaves one body, it has made
      another (gross or subtle), according to its Karmas and desires.

      Now please go through some of my books. You will get a clear idea. It is
      no use merely discussing these things. You should study, understand the
      mystery, then practice Sadhana and realise. Do not yield to intellectual

      "Sense of void, sense of want, sense of imperfection, sense of
      limitation-all these will not leave man till he attains Self-realisation."
      - Swami Sivananda