    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 1999
      Date: Thu, 7 Aug 1997 23:10:21 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pkanagar@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (30)

      GOD'S WILL: "Why have you not engaged yourself in the active field of
      service of humanity, Swamiji, just as Gandhiji had done? Unlike him, you
      have secluded yourself on the bank of the Ganges, without entering the
      political field at all," asked Sri Asvatthanarayanan.

      The first answer of the Master was a mild one, which was at the same time
      pregnant with a deep spiritual import. "God has endowed each man with
      certain talents and marked out his field of service for him. Wisdom lies
      in finding out those talents and utilising them in selfless service of
      humanity, in accordance with His Will. Gandhiji's was a field of political
      service; mine is the field of renunciation and Sannyas. For us to exchange
      places would be like a cobbler and a tailor exchanging places!"

      He continued, "But do not allow the mind to form the impression that only
      that man who indulges in politics serves the Lord's children. How did you
      come here? How did you know that this Ashram existed and that you can do
      Sadhana for Self-realisation here?"

      "From your books, Swamiji."

      "Then you admit that the books have been of service to you?"

      "Certainly, Swamiji."

      "The books are the results of the dynamic activities here. In the world
      you will not find workers such as you find here. There you will be looking
      at the clock. When it strikes five, you will lay down your pen. But here
      the Sannyasins convert night into day with their work. Thousands are
      benefited. Thousands get a proper knowledge of the goal of life and the
      path to it. Millions do Sadhana and evolve towards perfection with the
      help of the books. Is that not service?"

      "Yes, Swamiji, in fact it is greater service than the oratory of the
      political platform."

      "I have also toured the country. For a period of ten years, from 1930 to
      1940, I frequently visited several places in the Punjab, Kashmir, United
      Provinces, Bihar and other Provinces. In 1950 I toured the entire country,
      visiting a number of places. Though public lecturing is very good in one
      respect, it is a disadvantage to be always touring. You can awaken a few
      people by lecturing. You can thrill an audience. But unless you can
      immediately give them permanent inspiration in the form of books, they
      will soon forget all about the lectures in the din and bustle of their
      daily worldly lives.

      "If I had been always touring I would not have been able to write these
      books. It is in the interest of the service of the Lord's children that I
      have secluded myself here. To produce spiritual literature such seclusion
      is absolutely necessary. Do you understand now?"

      "Yes, Swamiji. In fact I knew of your Holiness' glorious work even before.
      But my friends and other people used to very often ask me such questions
      and I did not know how to answer them. So I put this question to your
      Holiness. I am grateful for the clarification."

      "Knowledge or wisdom will dawn by itself when you practise Bhakti Yoga.
      Bhakti is pleasant, smooth, direct road to God. Bhakti is sweet in the
      beginning, in the middle, and in the end. It gives the highest, undecaying
      bliss." - Swami Sivananda