    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2002

      We have uploaded a discourse by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj on
      the importance of continuing ones spiritual practice until it becomes
      part and parcel of ones consciousness. The title of the discourse is
      "Sadhana is a Necessity" and is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/mar2002.htm

      Gurudev's Hospital in Holy Pattamadai is in need of sponsors for beds at
      a newly constructed ward to treat the poor patients at Gurudev's birth
      place. The appeal has been posted at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/announce/sscch.htm

      THE ROOT OF EVIL: Certain principles of the Divine Life Society's
      organisation were being discussed.

      "My ideal is service," said the Master. "I will therefore keep the doors
      of the Ashram open even to a rogue. I will take him in and try to mould
      his character on the right lines. Through him I will serve humanity. In
      this service his heart also will be purified.

      "I do not want to lose even a single worker. You see, this Ashram
      started like a small mustard seed, and by God's Grace it has now grown
      into a big institution with branches all over the world. Thousands of
      aspirants are writing that they are being benefited by our service."

      Sri R.V. Sastriji interrupted, "Yes, Swamiji, this is perfectly true.
      Sri Satchidananda Swamiji wrote to the All-India Congress Committee for
      a pass to join the Congress session. The letter reached Sri Rajendra
      Prasad for his sanction. He noticed the name 'Sivananda Ashram' at the
      top of the letter and at once remarked, 'Oh! This Swami has written from
      Sivananda Ashram. They are doing very good work there. There is no
      worry, issue him a ticket.' Sri K. S. Venkataramani was with Sri
      Rajendra Babu at that time and he himself told me this."

      The Master said, "It is all due to His Grace. We are merely instruments
      in His hands. We should always see in what manner we can promote the
      work. We should avoid the evils that eat away the very root of an
      organisation. Jealousy, for instance, is a great evil which prevents the
      growth of any institution. But it is a human vice. It is in everyone. It
      can be completely eradicated only when one attains knowledge of the
      Self.

      "What we should all strive to do is to cripple jealousy so that it will
      be unable to work its way into the very vitals of our being. This can be
      done only through constant enquiry and dispassion. When jealousy arises
      in the mind, try to put it down and prevent it from taking an aggressive
      shape.

      "Anger is another evil. If you get angry with anyone in the morning,
      then at noon you should do enquiry, and in the evening you should make
      proper amends and become one with the other man. Always try to
      co-operate with all, adapt yourself with all, mix with all and work with
      all. The most important point is service. That should be your one motto.
      Then everything will be all right. Every moment you should think how you
      can enable the divine life message to reach thousands of more aspirants.
      Then all evil qualities will gradually leave you."