    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 25 7:15 PM

      The latest newsletter of the DLS of Maryland has been posted at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/newsletters/newslett.htm

      This issue has a report on the 2nd Global International DLS
      Conference that was held in Orissa. There are also several articles on the
      subject of Peace.

      MANUAL LABOUR: Arriving in the office in the morning, the Master's eyes
      fell upon a few banana peels lying in a corner.

      "Nowadays no one sweeps the office in the morning. All enthusiasm has
      faded away, I think."

      "Last Sunday I swept, Swamiji," said one Ashramite.

      "The day before yesterday was my turn," another added.

      The Master listened as a schoolmaster listened to the lame excuses of
      children who had forgotten to do their homework!

      "If there is a genuine interest in all of you to keep the office clean,
      then even the thought of 'my turn' and 'his turn' will not arise.

      "Vishnu Swamiji may be busy with letters. But then, at least the junior
      inmates ought to take this task upon themselves. I am not saying this
      because the others are senior, but they may feel that they could do more
      intellectual work in that period.

      "Physical labour is very essential. It keeps the body healthy. It provides
      an opportunity for cultivating the spirit of selfless service. One will be
      able to develop humility, forbearance and many other divine virtues by
      engaging in manual labour.

      "Cleanliness is next to Godliness. You should take great delight in such
      service. There should be no compulsion from outside nor should you do it
      just because someone else is asking you to do so."

      "Moksha is Freedom, Independence or Perfection. Desire is the enemy of
      Moksha. It binds man to the Samsaric wheel of birth and death. It is the
      root-cause of human sufferings. You must annihilate all desires and reach
      that incomparable seat, where all the illusions of pleasure and pain and
      other heterogeneities vanish." - Swami Sivananda