    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 8, 2002

      Video clips from Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj's discourse on July
      27, 1994 has been uploaded to Sri Swamiji's site at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/video.html

      The title of the discourse is "The Descent of Creation and the Ascent of
      Consciousness". The text for this discourse is at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/sadh/sadh_05.html

      CHARITY IN DISGUISE: Sri R. P. Gandhi, a government employee, came into
      the office, bowed to the Master and narrated his tale of woe. He is a
      refugee from the Punjab. He lost everything in the riots. He recently
      received information from his bankers that his bank, too, had completely
      collapsed. His sisters were sick and the whole family had poor health
      owing to the shock.

      "Swamiji, I have some good religious books. I wish to dispose of them as
      I am not able to make both ends meet with the salary I am getting. I
      wonder if you will purchase some of these books."

      He showed the Master the list which totalled Rs. 68.12. The Master was
      scanning it but his eyes seemed to be straying elsewhere. He was deeply
      immersed in thought. He read out the names of the books. Most of them
      were either already in the Ashram library or were unnecessary. "It does
      not matter," the Master said to a disciple. "Select some good books from
      the list for half the amount. Premanandaji, get Rs. 40. Rs. 30 we shall
      give him for the cost of the books and Rs. 10 shall be my humble
      offering. Yes, merely purchasing books is not charity. I should also
      give him some money as a donation."

      When the money came, the Master handed it to Sri Gandhi with reverence
      and regard, and with the words, "Patram, Pushpam!" (I am worshipping you
      through this. See Bhagavad Gita 9.26)

      "The existence of a human individual in society is tremendously
      influenced by the nature of the society around, so much so that one
      cannot easily, as a physical and psychological individual, wrench
      oneself from social relations. Society has become a part of our very
      skin, and to peel off social contact would be like peeling our own skin.
      Yet, some such super-normal adventure has to be embarked upon when we
      take to the practice of pure spirituality, or Yoga." - Swami
      Krishnananda