    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 3, 2002

      We have uploaded a discourse by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      titled "A True Philosophy of Life" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/feb2002.htm

      THE RAZOR PATH: The Master was once conversing with his disciples in the
      office.

      "God-realisation is not such an easy matter. These aids--study,
      listening and reflection--are only intended to show us the way. When you
      get a keen desire for liberation, you will learn from the scriptures and
      from the lectures delivered by Chidananda Swamiji and others here how to
      proceed.

      "You should be vigilant and watchful all the time. You should learn from
      everyone the lessons of divine life. Merely sitting in a corner and
      practising Yogic Kriyas will not help you. Why do you wish to acquire
      powers? What is it to you if you gain the power to create a new world or
      to arrest the course of the sun and the moon? Psychic powers only fatten
      the ego and move you farther away from God. Do not run after them.

      "On the other hand, consider yourself to be like a blade of grass.
      Develop humility, patience, perseverance, love, forbearance,
      truthfulness and purity.

      "I have never longed for liberation. I have never aspired for
      God-realisation. I shall go on serving everyone. I shall go on purifying
      my heart through selfless service. I shall always try to see God in
      everyone. God Himself should take pity on me and give me liberation.
      Otherwise, I shall take birth again and again and go on serving till God
      Himself voluntarily offers me liberation.

      "Look at Sri Sthanu Subramanyam! See how wonderfully he has cultivated
      his heart! He has come to stay here for a few days. Even then he has
      brought with him a small box of medicines. He runs here and there to
      serve the sick. Examine your heart. Have you this one quality--of a
      heart melting at the suffering of others? Sri Subramanyam also does his
      Japa regularly here. Have you this tenacious adherence to the path?

      "I want all of you to become dynamic Yogis. Here you get the greatest
      scope for development. People who have had training here have opened new
      Ashrams and societies. Just think what a wonderful thing it would have
      been if all those dynamic workers had remained here and worked to expand
      this institution. Yet, it is a good thing that they are all doing
      wonderful work in their own way.

      "One who organises an institution should have perfect tolerance,
      understanding, adaptability, humility and dedication. Some Mahants drive
      away young aspirants if they feel that the latter have greater talents
      and might one day shine superior to the Mahants themselves. This is very
      bad. Why should you care if a newcomer is greater than yourself? You
      should try to win his heart and make him also dedicate himself to the
      cause, and thus try to utilise his services for the mission. If you have
      such dedication, even if this newcomer drives you away out of malice,
      you will take alms from the alms-house and work for the cause.

      "You should always work to make everyone equal, if not better than
      yourself. Never suppress another, never ignore anotherÂ’s talents. I want
      everyone to come to the Ashram--a scavenger, an artist, a journalist, a
      songster, a poet, an orator. I give them the greatest scope for the
      development of their talents. I serve them and win their hearts. I give
      them the longest rope. If they have mischief in their hearts and if they
      intend to do harm to the institution, God will protect it.

      "I am not bothered about the institution. My nature is to work. My goal
      is to serve. This spirit of service has been in me from my childhood.
      Even if this organisation collapses, I will sit in a hut, serve a few
      patients, print some leaflets and thus serve humanity.

      "Study the Gita. Find out how many divine virtues that the Lord has
      enumerated therein you have developed. Purify the heart. Serve, serve
      and serve. Meditation will come by itself. Samadhi will come by itself.
      Do not hanker after psychic powers. They are hindrances on the spiritual
      path. See God in every face. This is the essence of all the Vedas."