    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 1999
      Date: Sun, 27 Jul 1997 15:14:43 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pkanagar@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (28)

      Om Namo Bhagavate Krishnanadaya!

      I have uploaded an excerpt of a lecture by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji
      Maharaj regarding the restraint of the senses which is the fifth limb in
      Raja Yoga. Swamiji has clearly explained how the senses operate and how
      they deceive us. Note that Swamiji Maharaj has also mentioned that once we
      achieve success in this practice, we would have achieved ninety percent
      success. The URL of the article is:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      EVERYTHING IS GOD: The Master asked a visitor who prostrated before an
      elderly person in his presence, "What are the benefits of prostration?"

      He replied, "It develops the feeling of oneness and leads to the
      attainment of the One Being. It develops humility."

      The Master said, "Yes, it develops humility. Prostration should be done to
      everything, even to excreta, stones and shoes."

      "Have you ever done this?" the Master questioned, and then added, "I do it
      daily immediately after I get up from bed in the morning. Everything is
      Consciousness only. There is no such thing as inert matter. A thing may
      appear quite inert outside but inside it is all Consciousness. You should
      do prostration to servants and to dogs and donkeys. There is a story of a
      Maharashtra saint. A donkey had died and when he prostrated to the dead
      animal, it was restored to life on account of the intensity of his

      "The Guru is a very wide dimension of consciousness appearing to be
      located to a person. It is like a high voltage current passing through a
      copper wire. The copper wire is only the visible thing before you, but it
      is charged with something which is far beyond the limitations of a copper
      wire. Ten thousand volts, ten thousand volts may be passing through there.
      So ten thousand volts of consciousness are passing through his personality
      though the volts cannot be seen. You only see the copper wire." - Swami