    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 12, 2002

      We have uploaded a couple of instructive articles on the subject of
      meditation from Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji's book "Yoga". The articles
      are:

      "Why Meditate?" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/whymed.htm

      and

      "How to Meditate" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/howmed.htm

      Seekers who would like to use credit card to purchase books published by
      The Divine Life Society may do so at the Motilal Banarsidass's website
      at:
      http://www.mlbd.com/

      Motilal Banarsidass is currently selling our books at 10% discount.

      ALWAYS SING "ANANDOHAM": Sri Aravamudan had a pricking conscience. He
      had uttered an unpremeditated lie without realising its consequences.
      With a contrite heart he wrote a note to the Master and left it on his
      office table, apologising for the mistake.

      On seeing the note the Master exclaimed, "What! Is Aravamudan leaving
      the Ashram?"

      "No, Swamiji, he has only left a note."

      "All right. Is it about that incident?"

      The Master threw the note down without reading it further.

      "Usually, whenever someone places a note on my table or prostrates, I
      take it to be an indication of 'Om Namo Narayanaya! I am going to
      Uttarkasi'."

      To Aravamudan the Master later said, "Don't worry. These slips do occur
      in a man's life. Learn a lesson and profit by them. Then forget such
      events. Always sing 'Anandoham', never 'worry-oham'!"

      "Half the problem connected with meditation springs from thinking about
      it. The thoughts that one may have about meditation are not meditation.
      It is possible to think about it, it is possible to talk about it and it
      is even possible to 'do' it, but none of these is meditation. Like
      sleep, it is something that has to happen, and one does not know when it
      is happening, but realises something has happened in retrospect." -
      Swami Venkatesananda