    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 2002

      We have uploaded a couple of articles from Gurudev Sri Swami
      Sivanandaji's book "Practice of Ayurveda". Both these articles serve as
      good introduction to the subject matter. The articles are:
      "Ayurveda--Theory and Practice" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/ayurveda.htm

      and

      "Ayurveda--Although Ancient It Can Be Ever New" at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/messages/ayurvedanew.htm

      We have also uploaded the table of contents for "Practice of Ayurveda"
      at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/books/es304.htm

      LESSON IN BEGGING: Swami Muruganandaji wanted to lead a life of
      seclusion and austerity. He came to the office to take leave of the
      Master.

      "Swamiji, I intend to go to Andhra Ashram and stay there for some time.
      Then I shall find out a suitable place for myself."

      "Wherever you go you should make yourself useful. Then only will people
      like you. Merely taking alms and sitting idle somewhere is not Yoga.
      This is a Tamasic habit. Not only will people not like you, but your
      progress also will be slow. Combine meditation with service. Then
      everyone will like you and your progress also will be rapid.

      "All right, you can remain wherever you like. You can take your alms
      from the alms-house. But you should know the method. Come, I shall show
      you how.

      "Sit here. Now you are the kitchen manager who distributes the food. You
      should make a nice bag of your cloth like this. Hang it on your forearm
      in this manner. Then go to the man who hands out rotis. Receive them
      gracefully, bending your body like this. Catching hold of the loose ends
      of the cloth with the left hand (being careful not to place the
      improvised bag on the floor), take the dhal in the vessel with the right
      hand. Then go to the man distributing vegetables, take the vegetables
      and walk off!."

      The Master demonstrated the entire process and made Muruganandaji also
      do so!

      "Swamiji, the main difficulty for me is that I do not know the language
      here and there is no one whom I know. So I intend to go to South India."

      "What is this? A Sannyasin should always remain in a place where he is
      least known. This is the secret behind the wandering life also.
      Familiarity not only breeds contempt but attachment also in some
      quarters. Always remain unknown, a stranger wherever you go. And serve
      at every opportunity that presents itself. Om Namah Shivaya!"

      Muruganandaji ultimately left for his own South India.

      "The mind has very intimate connection with the body. When the body
      suffers, the mind also suffers. When the mind suffers, there is reaction
      in the body as well. Therefore one who knows the secret of keeping the
      mind in a healthy state can keep his body also in a sound condition." -
      Swami Sivananda