    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2001

      "Let us make use of the ending of the Old Year and the beginning of the
      New Year, to remind ourselves that we are beyond this time and that this
      very limitation of time has got a special message for us, - the message
      which Gurudev gives us in his 'Song of Divine Life' and which Christ has
      said in his own beautiful and paradoxical words: Die to live, lead the
      divine life." - Swami Chidananda

      Namaste!

      A detailed article on the Mahasamadhi of our beloved Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj appeared in the December issue of The Divine Life
      Journal. We have posted this article at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/announce/krishnasamadhi.htm

      We have posted an inspiring New Year's message by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami
      Chidanandaji at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/jan2002.htm

      A transcription of Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj's audio talk, Study
      of Oneself, has been posted at Swamiji's site at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_40.html
      The audio is at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/video.html

      We would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone a blessed New
      Year filled with radiant health, peace and joy. May Gurudev continue to
      inspire us all to be diligent in our spiritual practices.

      REAL SADHANA: Swami X., who had once stayed at the Ashram for a
      considerable time and rendered a lot of service to the Society, had come
      and gone away. There was a mild discussion about his attitude towards
      the Ashram.

      "Swamiji, perhaps he did not stay on at the Ashram because he was not
      given the rousing reception he perhaps expected," a disciple commented.

      "What reception? A Sannyasin should not have such expectations and
      desires. He left the Ashram previously in order to do intense austerity
      and Sadhana. If he had really done much austerity or Sadhana he would
      have developed a loving heart and an entirely changed angle of vision.
      This would have electrified all those he met here. He would have adopted
      an attitude of humility, service and brotherly love towards everyone. He
      would have thus endeared himself to all. Naturally, a different
      atmosphere would have been created. This is the way. We should always
      conquer the hearts of others through love and service. There is no other
      way. If we are not able to do this, it indicates that our Sadhana is a
      continuous indulgence in inertia, resulting in an increased fattening of
      the ego."