Birthday of Sri Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj

    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 28, 2001
      "Swami Venkatesananda was absolutely dedicated to Gurudev's service. He
      didn't mind working for 12, 16, 18, maybe sometimes 24 hours. I'm not
      joking. There have been days when Swami Venkatesanandaji decided to work
      round the clock for 24 hours. One day he did a marvel. He completed a
      manuscript, put it before Gurudev and then brought it to the press in
      the evening. They worked the whole night, and the next morning they put
      the finished book, bound and everything, before Swamiji. It had been
      completed in 24 hours. Gurudev paid them a visit when this work was
      going on after the night satsang and arati was over and prasad had been
      distributed. He went out of the bhajan hall and said, "I'm going out."
      Because all the lights were on and the press was working, the cat was
      out of the bag. He was simply overjoyed. "Oh, marvellous, wonderful!",
      he said. And then immediately he sent someone out, "Oh, go and run and
      make some hot tea (it was winter), bring it in a big kettle, and give it
      to everyone!" He spent half an hour in that printing room, going all
      over the place like a child suddenly rejoicing in a new toy. He went
      round and round the printing department, the composing department (then
      it was all hand-composing), and the binding department--and the next day
      the book was out. This was a wonderful dedication.

      Even now I have not been able to understand how he was able to serve
      Gurudev, work for him, correspond with devotees, working for 12 to 16
      hours. At the same time he managed to go and serve Swami Achintyananda,
      the homoeopath, and become an expert homoeopath. He also took veena
      lessons and became a very good veena player. And at the same time he was
      a Good Samaritan, at the disposal of devotees who visited Gurudev. How
      did he find time to do all these things and at the same time pursue his
      own studies? There was some genius in him, and this same genius worked
      during these twenty years, when he made the whole of the world his field
      of work, bringing Gurudev's teachings into every country." - Swami
      Chidananda

      Tomorrow (Dec. 29th) is the holy occasion of revered and worshipful Sri
      Swami Venkatesanandaji Maharaj's 80th birthday anniversary.

      In celebration of Swamiji's birthday we uploaded a book by Swamiji
      titled "Sivananda Yoga". In this book Swamiji expounds on the teachings
      of the Gita and draws many examples of how Gurudev puts the teachings of
      the Gita to practice. Please download this book from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#sivanandayoga

      More information about Swamiji is available at the following sites:
      http://www.dailyreadings.com/
      http://www.dlsmd.org/album/venkatesananda/venkatesa%20main.htm (many
      pictures are available here)