    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 24, 2001

      Tomorrow (Dec. 25th) is the celebration of Lord Jesus' birthday. We have
      a book on our website by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Life and Teachings of Lord Jesus" which contains a number of Christmas
      messages by Gurudev, Sri Swami Chidanandaji Maharaj and Sri Swami
      Krishnanandaji Maharaj. This book can be downloaded from:

      December 26th is the holy advent of the Bhagavad Gita. There are several
      articles on our website about this holy day. They are:

      A new article titled "God and Humanity" and a Real Audio discourse
      "Study of Oneself" by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj have been
      uploaded to:

      Donations for the 2nd Global International Divine Life Conference may be
      made by wire transfer also. Here are two banks that you may send money
      Name of the Bank - Indian Overseas Bank
      Branch - Cuttack
      Name - 2nd GIDLS Conference
      S/B A/c No=22278

      Bank of Baroda
      Mani Sahu Chhak (CUTMAN)
      Cuttack Branch
      Name - 2nd GIDLS Conference
      S/B A/c No = 2370

      Please send an e-mail to gidlsc@... for confirmation if you do
      wire your donations.

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      POWER OF MAYA: Sri Ram Ram Ram of Lucknow is an aged devotee. Even in
      his advanced age he is reluctant to give up his practice as an advocate.
      He has, however, been a pious devotee, visiting Rishikesh regularly and
      attending Satsang on every occasion.

      The Master sounded him, "Why not retire from active life and practise
      contemplation? You have worked enough, you have no encumbrances."

      "But, Swamiji, though I have been attending Satsang and doing Japa and
      meditation all these years, I have yet no confirmed faith in God and His
      Name. Still there is attachment to the family, to position, to money and
      to worldly life. It is strange, Swamiji, I confess."

      "Maya is very powerful," said the Master. "Except in very rare cases,
      where the past impressions are strong, the taste for a life of
      contemplation does not manifest itself in man. No doubt, Satsang, Japa
      and meditation assist an aspirant a lot, but the veil of ignorance is so
      thick that these are not sufficient to pierce it. They only create
      impressions which will take effect in future births. If at the same time
      you practise enquiry and try to develop discrimination and dispassion,
      the progress will be extremely rapid. The qualities of discrimination
      and dispassion are absolutely necessary. Without these no amount of
      Satsang, Japa or meditation will produce immediate results. Maya is very
      powerful. She can be annihilated only through intense dispassion."

      "Lord Jesus came to teach us the way to attain the joy and perfection of
      the Divine Kingdom. He lived and taught us to find out the Kingdom of
      Heaven that is within ourselves. His inspiring call to man was for the
      renunciation of the low and petty things of this perishable, physical
      world and to strive for the attainment of the lofty spiritual ideal of
      Divine Perfection, perennial Bliss and Immortal Existence." - Swami