    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22 5:50 AM
      Date: Sun, 20 Jul 1997 16:44:47 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pkanagar@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (27)

      I have uploaded Holy Master, Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj's essay
      titled "Disciple" at
      http://www.rsl.ukans.edu/~pkanagar/divine/teachings/sishya.htm

      In this essay Gurudev clearly explains the duties of a disciple. I am sure
      we can all make rapid progress on the spiritual path by adhering to
      Gurudev's advice in this essay.

      VARIETIES OF VANITY: Sri Lila Vlachow, while taking her usual massage
      class in the morning, explained a certain kind of massage and said that it
      was suitable for lumbago.

      The Master humorously asked, "Can it cure 'vanity lumbago'?"

      He continued, "Granules of vanity sometimes accumulate on the back and
      cause 'vanity lumbago'. People with this disease cannot bow before others.
      They cannot bend down before the idol in the temple. There are varieties
      of lumbago-the professor's lumbago, Chief Minister's lumbago, principal's
      lumbago and engineer's lumbago!"

      "It is not by what we know that we attain success in our life, but it is
      by what we are, and by what we do with that which we know." - Swami
      Chidananda