    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2001

      We have uploaded an article by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji on
      what it means to be a member of The Divine Life Society. The article
      entitled "Sadhana and The Divine Life Society" is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/nov2001.htm

      A new article titled "On The Transition From The Empirical To The
      Absolute" by Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj (dictated on Oct. 31st)
      has been uploaded to Sri Swamiji's site at:
      http://www.swami-krishnananda.org/disc/disc_37.html

      HUMILITY PERSONIFIED: A devotee of Nilakanth, who is a scavenger by
      birth, has come. He is sitting outside the Diamond Jubilee hall just
      opposite the window to the left of the Master. Through the window he
      gazes at the divine form of the Master.

      The Master, too, notices him immediately and invites him in.

      Fruit and milk are brought. The Master offers them to the devotee, who
      rolls on the ground at his feet, uttering, "Shiva, Shiva." He sees his
      own Deity, Mahadeva, in the Master. He prostrates again and again; then
      he begins circumambulating the Master. The sight was indeed a feast for
      the eyes!

      Suddenly, the Master, too, starts going around the Nilakanth devotee.
      The devotee repeats "Sadashiva" and the Master responds with
      "Radheshyam". Then both fall at each other's feet!

      Great is the embarrassment and astonishment of the Nilakanth devotee,
      for he sees in the divine Master the very personification of humility.

      "You have heard several eloquent lectures delivered by learned
      Sannyasins. You have heard Kathas, discourses and exposition of the
      Gita, the Ramayana and the Upanishads. You have heard several valuable
      moral and spiritual instructions. But you have not at all endeavoured to
      put anything into serious earnest practice and to do protracted solid
      Sadhana. Mere intellectual assent to religious ideas, a little closing
      of the eyes in the morning and at night just to deceive oneself and the
      Indweller, a little endeavour to stick to the daily spiritual routine
      and to develop some virtues in a half-hearted careless manner, some mild
      effort to carry out the instructions of your spiritual preceptor
      perfunctorily, will not suffice. This kind of mentality should be
      entirely given up. An aspirant should follow the instructions of his
      Guru and the teachings of the scriptures to the very letter. No leniency
      should be allowed to the mind. There can be no half measures in the
      spiritual path. You cannot say: "I will see to them later on. I can
      devote more time when I retire. I have followed the instructions as far
      as possible or more or less." This 'more or less' and 'as far as
      possible' business is disastrous to an aspirant. There is neither
      'exception to the general rule' nor 'allowing margin' nor any 'discount'
      in the practice of spiritual instructions. Exact, implicit, strict
      obedience to the instructions is expected of you." - Swami Sivananda