    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2001

      We have uploaded a book by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Practice of Karma Yoga". Gurudev goes into great detail in this book on
      how to work with the right attitude so that Karma does not bind one to
      the wheel of birth and death. Gurudev leaves no stones unturned in
      covering the subject of Karma, reincarnation, free will, fate, sin and
      other related topics. This book can be downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#practicekarma

      THE SACREDNESS OF ONE'S NAME: Sri T. A. Shankara Sastri called himself
      T. A. S. Sastri in his letter. This amused the Master, who wrote to him:
      "Kindly use your full name always. Abandon this modern craze to shorten
      it, dropping out the most essential part. As you go on signing your full
      name a hundred times, you repeat it a hundred times. This tantamounts to
      Japa of Shankara. T. A. S. Sastri has just the same significance as A.
      B. C. D., whereas T. A. Shankara Sastri is an elevating name."

      Then the Master smilingly said, "I told Sri M. Srinivasan the same
      thing. He was signing himself as M. S. Vasan. I pointed out to him that
      'Srinivasan' was the Lord's Name, sacred and elevating. By cutting it
      short, it lost all its glory. He at once caught up with the idea. But
      there are even now many 'V. Iyers' and 'N. Iyers' and 'B. Menons', who
      have yet to learn the glory of the names that their parents bestowed
      upon them.

      "Our ancients were very wise. They called the children by the Lord's
      Names so that the parents and others, by simply calling out to them,
      would repeat the Divine Name several times. But modern wise men wish to
      run away from this most pleasant form of Sadhana. What a pity! They wish
      to run away from God!"

      "One should never forget the idea that work is worship of God. If one
      remembers this fact, all work will be found very interesting. The terms
      'menial service', 'this work is bad', 'that work is good', will be
      obliterated from the mind. You will find that all work, when done with
      the right mental attitude or Bhava, will elevate your mind." - Swami
      Sivananda