    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 10, 2001

      We have uploaded a book by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj titled
      "Practical Lessons in Yoga". This book was especially written for the
      students of Yoga in the West by keeping the technical jargon to a
      minimum. Through this book Gurudev inspires everyone, both in the West
      and East, to take to the practice of Yoga in right earnest. This book is
      at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#practical

      RECOLLECTIONS: The Master was paying a glowing tribute to Swami
      Sivaswarupji's musical talents, devotion and power of entertainment.

      "Sivaswarup Swamiji, if you wish you can become a big Katha Vachak
      (story-teller). You can then build a big Ashram and work wonders. Start
      doing Kirtan and Katha. Then, slowly go about on Kirtan propaganda. So
      many will be thirsting to hear you. You will have many admirers and
      gradually a huge organisation will be built around you. You have the
      gift of Kesari Yoga. If you only make a little effort, Kesari Yoga will
      be yours."

      "No, no Swamiji," replied Sivaswarupji, "Kesari Yoga is only for you."

      This had reference to Sivaswarupji's prediction that the Master alone
      had Kesari Yoga, or the luck of building up a huge organisation and
      working miracles.

      "I am of a different type completely," Sivaswarupji added.

      "No, Swamiji, you make a mistake. There is Kesari Yoga for you also but
      you have not utilised it."

      "It is not so, Swamiji. I do not have the Sadhana Shakti that you have.
      I cannot tolerate criticism. I do not like to be spoken ill of or
      scandalised. I always wish to remain quiet and I avoid the thick of the
      battle of life. Physically also I am always ill."

      The Master went on to explain the secret of his success. "I always keep
      the body in working order, Maharaj. I am not satisfied with walking
      even. I run for a few minutes daily. I cannot but practise Asanas and
      Pranayama for at least a few minutes daily. These keep my body fit in
      spite of several chronic ailments that reside in it.

      "When you compare me with the other Mahants of several other Ashrams, I
      am nothing before their learning. Compared to their vast erudition, I am
      like a small shopkeeper in front of a wholesale company.

      "But it is only God's Grace that has enabled me to spread the message of
      divine life so widely today. It is this God's Grace that has instilled
      in me the spirit of service.

      When Sadhus and Sannyasins and devotees of the Lord come to see them,
      some Mahants put on saintly airs, but I will clean their shoes. When a
      patient is lying sick on the roadside, they will not even look at him. I
      will carry him on my shoulders, nurse him and clean his bed-pan. When a
      needy man comes to my Ashram, I will at once give him some money to
      satisfy his needs. The Mahants will not even look at him. It is all due
      to God's Grace.

      "I remember well, Swamiji," Sivaswarupji recollected, "when you used to
      serve in Kalikananda Girl's dispensary and established it as a hospital.
      I remember how in those days you used to sleep in a damp verandah
      without even a blanket underneath. The room was a dilapidated one and it
      was renovated several years later. Who could have endured all that and
      still served like you?"

      The Master recollected an incident which happened during his Swarg
      Ashram days.

      He had been invited by Maharani Sri Sri Sri Devi to her palace. He went
      there, sang his inspiring Kirtans and stirred her heart, infusing joy in
      all.

      "The Maharani tried to persuade me to stay in the palace itself. I did
      not like the idea, so I quietly slipped out with just two pieces of
      clothes. It was winter then. I wended my way along the Ganges canal to
      Meerut and thence to Rishikesh.

      "On the way at Parikshitgarh I received a money order from Sri
      Satyanandaji, asking me to take a photograph of myself to be printed in
      a book. I returned to Meerut. On my way back, I could not reach
      Parikshitgarh before sunset. It was dark and I noticed a few small huts
      near the roadside. It had been raining all the time and I was simply
      soaked in the rain. I found a cot lying outside and without much ado
      made myself comfortable on it. Soon someone woke me up and
      sympathetically said that the place was not suitable for human beings to
      sleep in. It was perhaps a cattle shed. He offered to put me up in a
      cottage filled with straw. I slept there for the night and ran back to
      Rishikesh the next day."

      "All the great religions of the world proclaim in one unanimous voice
      that there is One Being. This Being, believe me, is not very far from
      you. He is quite close to you. He resides in the body-temple of yours,
      in the innermost recesses of your heart. He is the silent Witness of
      your mind, the Watcher of all the activities of your intellect. He is
      the Supreme Being of the Scriptures so highly eulogised by Saints,
      Sages, Yogins, Philosophers and Prophets. This Being can be realised by
      all through the practice of Yoga." - Swami Sivananda