    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2001

      We have uploaded an discourse by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj
      titled "Philosophy of Bhakti". In this discourse Gurudev provides the
      rationale for developing love for God. This article is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/oct2001.htm

      MEDITATION AND SERVICE: "This is my address book," the Master said to a
      visitor, "in which I note down the addresses of all those who come into
      the divine life fold--editors of journals, professors, headmasters of
      schools, European and American aspirants, etc. It serves me very
      effectively. Whenever a new book is published, it is this address book
      that helps me to send the publication to various persons who will be
      benefited by it. These twenty-five years I have continued maintaining
      this register. This is the fifth volume.

      "Writing the addresses of all aspirants is to me a greater form of
      Sadhana than meditation. It is a form of meditation in which, not only
      we ourselves, but others also are greatly benefited. Meditation is
      necessary but along with it service also is necessary.

      "There are aspirants all over the world who correspond with me
      regularly. To them, a book or a pamphlet or a leaflet sent occasionally
      will act as a tonic. It will rouse them to greater effort. I am always
      fond of reading and I advocate to everyone this practice of reading
      spiritual literature. Do not think that it is a waste of time. Keep a
      thermometer to measure the degree of the cave-dweller's meditation. No
      doubt, with the help of Asanas, Pranayama and other practices, he will
      try to keep up the meditative mood, but there will be a certain amount
      of Tamas or inertia. The meditation will not be as vigorous as it would
      be if he occasionally read a good book. This would create sublime
      thoughts in him.

      "Nobody should renounce books; no one should give up the study of
      religious books. This is very important. You should no doubt study the
      Gita, Upanishads and other scriptures daily, but these alone will not
      do, though they contain the essence of the different Yogas. They soon
      become monotonous. Besides these, you should study all the religious
      books you come across. It is my register that gives such spiritual food
      to thousands of aspirants."