    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2001

      A video of Sri Swami Krishnanandaji Maharaj delivering a lecture during
      the 1994 Sadhana Week has been uploaded to Sri Swamiji's site. This
      discourse is on the subject of Sadhana (what and why of spiritual
      practice) and can be viewed at:

      The text of this discourse is at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      DUTIES OF A SADHU: "The essential qualification in a Sadhu is that he
      should adapt himself to all conditions and circumstances, causing no
      inconvenience to others. His duty is to serve, not to worry others. Very
      few Sadhus know what they are and what they should be.

      "This morning an old Sadhu from Swarg Ashram came here. He was there
      when I also was at Swarg Ashram. He is aged eighty now. There was only
      rice and sambhar in the kitchen but the Sadhu would not take it. He
      wanted roti only. It seems that rice will produce wind. If you allow
      him, he will lecture to you for half an hour on the evil effects of
      eating rice. But he will refuse to be reminded that a very large
      population of India and the world lives on rice alone.

      "This is all that he has understood of Sadhana during these thirty years
      of Sadhu-life--rice should not be taken, roti alone is good for health
      and meditation. Such people waste all their life in this one thought of
      the right food and the wrong food. What is there if on one day you do
      not get food to your liking? Even your own wife will not tolerate you if
      you are so particular about what you should have.

      "It is the special duty of a Sadhu not to cause any inconvenience to
      householders. We are not to be a burden upon householders but of some
      service to them. When will this Sadhu understand this?

      "And the worst part of it all is that this Sadhu, who is adamant in his
      longing for roti, will not get anything else except rice here! I had to
      go about here and there asking this man and that cook to prepare a few
      rotis for him.

      "The Sadhu has his own specifications for the roti also--it must be
      extra-thick! This is a most convenient method of escaping the criticism
      that he is a glutton. Instead of taking twenty rotis of the usual size,
      he will now take only six of the abnormal size!

      "If I merely tell someone here, nothing will be done. Some cook or some
      worker will just look up at me with his mind somewhere else, and then
      forget all about it when he sees my back! And a few have the mentality
      that their will alone should be done. So my worry is all the more. I
      have to sit beside the cook and see that the Sadhu is given the rotis.

      "Some aspirants here also have the impression that since they are living
      in an Ashram, this one consideration ought to be sufficient to open the
      gates of liberation to them. I can assure you that even if they live for
      hundreds of lives near the greatest saint in the world, they will not
      improve even a bit unless they themselves exert. Each one must think and
      act for himself.

      "There have been some aspirants here whom I myself trusted and put in
      charge of the affairs of the Ashram. Then I myself used to dread to
      approach them. If, for instance, I went to them and requested them to
      prepare a little more of what they give me for my food, in order that I
      may give the extra quantity to someone else, I would be refused. What I
      do on such occasions is to reduce my own consumption and distribute the
      surplus to others.

      "If an aspirant gets real Samadhi after a hundred births, that is a very
      great achievement. God is perfect and unless and until all the evil
      qualities are eradicated and divine qualities acquired to the degree of
      perfection, there will be no Samadhi."

      The Master made the above observations to some of his disciples in the
      office one morning.

      "A man of ordinary intellect with highly developed attention can turn
      out more work than a highly intellectual man who has a poor attention.
      Failure in anything is mainly due to lack of attention. If you attend to
      one thing at a time, you will get profound knowledge of that subject in
      its various aspects." - Swami Sivananda