    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 19, 1999
      Date: Sun, 29 Jun 1997 14:33:17 -0500 (CDT)
      From: Pannirselvam Kanagaratnam <pkanagar@...>
      To: The Divine Life Family <pkanagar@...>
      Subject: Sivananda Day-to-Day (24)

      All concerned citizens of the universe who are not physically present in
      the USA and who would like to voice your concern about landmines can send
      an e-mail to President Bill Clinton at <president@...>. Those
      who are in the USA should also send a message to the President if you
      haven't already done so. I have reproduced a sample message below.

      Swami Sivananda Spiritual Centre, a sub-branch of the Divine Life Society
      in Malaysia has a new web address: http://www.sssc.org.my/

      Yours in service of Gurudev,

      THE WANDERING HABIT: When the Master came to know that a certain inmate
      was contemplating going away from the Ashram for a change, he remarked,
      "Will people leave this place and go elsewhere? This place is a replica of
      Brahma Loka. There is the enchanting Ganges and the Himalayan scenery
      here. The moment the bell rings, one gets tea and meals. There are all
      comforts here. Can one get these things elsewhere?"

      The Master then became silent.

      On a previous occasion, when another person evinced interest in going to
      various places, the Master remarked to him, "If a man wishes to rise on
      the spiritual path, he will not leave this place even if he is beaten."

      On another occasion, referring to the wandering habit of certain
      aspirants, he remarked, "A rolling stone gathers no moss."

      "God reveals Himself only to him who makes a sincere effort to realise
      Him." - Swami Sivananda

      Dear President Clinton,

      I am disappointed that the US is not participating in the Ottawa process
      in December '97 to sign an international treaty to ban the use,
      production, stockpiling and transfer of antipersonnel landmines. Landmines
      kill or maim 25,000 people per year including an appalling number of
      children. Many veterans who have been down in the mud among the mines and
      a platoon of retired generals including Gen. Norman Schwarzkopf are
      calling for a ban on this weapon.

      Please support the Leahy-Hagel landmines bill to ban landmines. The
      sooner we get this indiscriminate weapon banned, the sooner we can start
      healing the physical and psychological wounds of victims of this insidious

      Yours sincerely,

      (Name & Address)