Sivananda Day to day (228)

  • NavinDas
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4, 2001
      Om Namo Bhagavate Sivananadaya!

      The Master was attending to the despatch of free books. He suddenly stopped and looked up.
      �From the time I got out of the morning class, I have been going on thinking of writing a few poems, but I do not have time. I am doing this work but my mind is still working on the poems. Even when I was taking my milk, I was busy sifting the points for the poems. Only when I finish them will my mind know rest.
      �Are you all keeping a note-book to record all your thoughts?� the Master asked the disciples in the office. �First of all, you should note down in a book all the new points that you learn in the class. Then there are parallel ideas that might strike you, or ideas arising out of those expressed by others in the class. These may be new, novel and unknown to others. They should at once be noted down. Are you keeping such notes?�
      Some of the aspirants nodded assent, others preferred to maintain a Vedantic silence!
      �There is one special advantage in this. First, you will hear some good points. Then you will go on reflecting upon them. This will give rise to other good points. When you start noting them down, they will begin to expand. This will eventually become a habit and you will always dwell on sublime thoughts. The mind will then refuse to come down even if invited to. This is real Vedantic Sravana-Manana-Nididhyasana (hearing, reflection, meditation).
      �Side by side with this you should keep another notebook for introspection. That is intended to eradicate the negative qualities in you. Killing the evil on the one hand and giving birth to divine thoughts and feelings on the other-rapid progress is possible in this way.
      �When any sublime thought arises in the mind-for example, the importance of truth-you should dwell on the glory of truth and on the lives of great men who adhered to it; on the nature of truth; on the pitfalls and snares on the path of truth; the obstacles that have to be overcome; and the subtle way in which the mind deceives you and takes you along a side-track to falsehood. Then you should dive deep and find out in what form falsehood lurks in your mind, whether in a gross or in a subtle form. Drive it out from there. Record the evil tendencies that you note in yourself.
      �If a man does this, he will soon find it an easy road to constant introspection. He will ever live an inner life. There will be no time for his mind to externalise itself. He will never think of others. He will have no evil thoughts. Lust, anger and greed will die a natural death. He will not care if anyone speaks ill of him, if someone refuses to give him milk or food, or if anyone criticises him. There will be no time for his mind to think of all these things.�
      This led the Master to his favourite topic.
      �Evil should not have time to dwell in your mind. What if someone refused to give you milk, to give you food? What if someone scolded you? Always repeat, �I am not this body, I am not this mind; I am the eternal, all-pervading, immortal Atma.�
      �Bear insult and injury. If someone slaps you on your cheeks, you should not even mind it. You should not even be aware of it, so to say. This is very difficult but it is most important. While a man is abusing you, your mind should be engaged in enquiry. After a while he will realise, �What is this, I have been abusing him several times, yet he is not getting irritated, he is not retorting! There must be something in him which I should learn.� Then he would fall at your feet and apologise; you would have conquered him?

      Swami Chidananda invites you to the 2nd Global International
      Divine Life Society Conference
      30th December 2001 - 2nd January 2002 at
      Cuttack, Orissa, INDIA
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/