Sivananda Day to Day (227)

  • NavinDas
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 4 3:23 AM
      Om Namo Bhagavate Sivananadaya!

      �Very well, but who loses? Not we, but only he loses the Lord�s blessings.�
      The Master brushed aside a suggestion to approach a devotee afresh for the purpose of getting a book printed. He was told that the devotee had expressed his displeasure because the Society did not immediately utilise a donation he had made for a specific purpose. As a result of this he had stopped further contributions.
      �Charity should be unconditional,� the Master went on to say. �Especially in the case of a spiritual institution, where the organisers are trustworthy and selfless servants of humanity, the donor should not bind the institution with all kinds of conditions. The people in charge know where funds are needed urgently. For instance, if money is very urgently required by us to maintain the aspirants, then we should use it for that purpose. It will then be foolish to starve the workers, saying that there is no balance in the maintenance fund. If the building fund has money, and if it is not urgently required there, any wise organiser will divert it to the kitchen.
      �To me the printing of books is of the greatest necessity. All other works have a secondary priority. Dissemination of spiritual knowledge on the widest possible scale is my one thought. Construction work, the water-scheme and every other work can wait.
      �The world looks to such societies and Ashrams as ours for guidance. Even if we go and take food from the almshouse, we should go on with the publication of books and leaflets. The donor will be benefited very greatly by such unconditional charity; he would have served the world through his money. Even if the money goes to feed some Sadhus and aspirants, the donor will be greatly blessed.
      �A few people realise this but others have the banker�s mentality-this money for this, that money for that. This hinders their progress to the goal, narrows their hearts and clouds their intellects. It finally leads them to vilification of Mahatmas and eventually to their own downfall.
      �For whose sake is he doing charity? Certainly not for our sake. The Lord will provide us with sufficient funds to carry on the work. I have the power to bring about a shower of gold in this Ashram but I will not do it. The householders should be given an opportunity of doing charity and being purified of their bad Karmas. Only through charity and the like can they purify their hearts and minds and thus expand and evolve. Everyone should realise this.�

      A full page of spiritual instructions in answer to a devotee's prayer for a simple autograph:

      "Little drops of water
      Make the mighty ocean.
      Little grains of sand
      Make this beautiful land.

      Little moments
      Make the mighty ages.
      Little pies and farthings
      Make millions and crores.

      Little mistakes
      Little unkind acts
      Will make you a devil.

      Little words of love,
      Little acts of kindness,
      Little good thoughts
      Will make you a saint." - Swami Sivananda

      Swami Chidananda invites you to the 2nd Global International
      Divine Life Society Conference
      30th December 2001 - 2nd January 2002 at
      Cuttack, Orissa, INDIA
      http://www.divinelifesociety.org/
    • NavinDas