Sivananda Day to Day (226)

  • Guduru NavinDas
    Message 1 of 1 , May 19, 2001

      Sivananda Day to Day (226)

      A letter was on the table. An eminent European Yogi had written, requesting that the Master invite him to India. This was needed to obtain a passport.

      "What a big show of themselves these so-called saints make, flying from this country to that! Everywhere they go, there are parties, receptions and farewell parties again."

      "Yes, Swamiji, we have seen many of them move about in regal comfort," said a disciple.

      "Some of them should be received with a kind of unique honour. Instead of flags and festoons adorning the reception entrance, people should hang only broomsticks and old shoes."

      Srimathi Liliane Shamash visibly enjoyed the joke.

      The Master turned to her, "What do you say? How would you like such a reception? I am sure you would be greatly upset; you will feel shocked, won't you?"

      "I am not sure, Swamiji. I have not experienced it."

      "We should not wait for the thing to actually happen. We should train ourselves. I have done so. I have beaten myself with shoes severely. This I used to do especially on birthdays, just after returning to my room following the meetings, where people had praised me, glorified me and deified me. I would go into my room and beat myself well with a pair of shoes. 'What are you, you wretched flesh, blood and excreta-made body? Do you want garlands? Can you not wear torn clothes? Do you think that you are great? Do you want people to prostrate to you? Now take these garlands'!"

      Everyone's face flushed!

      The Master went on, "Sukadeva was tested by Janaka in the same manner. He was a great Jnani. When he went to Janaka for instructions, he was made to wait outside the palace, uncared for, without food, shelter and any honour. After a few days he was invited in and attended upon by royal ladies. In this way Janaka tested his tranquillity of mind. Sukadeva was above all petty desires. He preserved his equanimity throughout the episode.

      "I have heard it said of St. Francis that he used to call his body 'brother ass'. What tremendous dispassion they all had!

      "Even this occasional shoe-beating is not enough for this body. I should give it a dose of the hardening medicine at least once a week."

      No one dared to take any part in the conversation.

      Thought for the week

      "Goodness is good. To live is to turn away from evil (reverse spelling). But that is not enough, for "live" contains in it the seed of all evil(anagram of veil )--"i" (ego). When that "i" is replaced by its self-negation "o", live becomes "love" which is God."
      - Swami Venkatesananda

      Swami Chidananda invites you to the 2nd Global International
      Divine Life Society Conference
      30th December 2001 - 2nd January 2002 at
      Cuttack, Orissa, INDIA