    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 23, 2001

      In celebration of Jagadguru Adi Sankaracharya's birthday on Saturday,
      April 28, we uploaded a Sankara Jayanthi (birthday) message by Gurudev
      Sri Swami Sivanandaji Maharaj. This message is at:

      Yours in the service of Gurudev,

      THE MASTER'S HEART!: The Master was distributing prasad. The sweetmeats
      were rationed to two per head. Gradually he lost control. Soon the
      bucket was almost empty. And when he found that everyone was thoroughly
      satisfied, he said, "Look at the satisfaction that they now have! This
      is indeed the most important point. What is the use of giving one
      sweetmeat or two? When people come and sing the Lord's Name and prasad
      is distributed, they should go back fully satisfied. What a lop-sided
      economy it is to save expenditure in this respect!

      "Ten years ago, when the Society was much poorer, everyone who came here
      went away fully satisfied. Even the Ashramites used to say, 'We workers
      do not get so many conveniences, but Swamiji gives milk and fruit to a
      stranger who walks in and says he is sick; and when this man leaves,
      Swamiji gives him ten rupees also.'

      "Now these people have started saying that the auditor was objecting. I
      have always said that the auditor has nothing to do with a Sannyasin's
      accounts. Where is there audit for us? Audit and budget may be necessary
      from one point of view, but from a Sannyasin's point of view nothing is
      necessary. I will go on spending. Let someone attach the buildings here.
      A Paramahamsa Sannyasin should be ever prepared to tie his own loin
      cloth around his head and walk away.

      "Padmanabhanji showed me the accounts. In August we gave Rs. 2,500 worth
      of books free, against a sale of Rs. 1,800. I do not care. All are
      benefited by the books. Let knowledge go round. If we cannot run this
      Ashram we will go away. My room is reserved at Swarg Ashram. Or I will
      go somewhere else and start once again."

      "The advent of Lord Krishna rejuvenated Hindu religion and saved many a
      soul from their complete ruin by subjugating themselves to passivism and
      passivism only due to the misinterpretation of the Vedas and the
      Upanishads. In the same way, Sri Sankara appeared on the earth to
      deliver very many struggling souls. He set them free, enlightened them
      and liberated them through his peaceful, unostentatious persuasion and
      loving propaganda. Through his irresistible logic, he planted the
      triumphant banner of unique intellectual conquest over all other schools
      of philosophy. Before him all other theories proved to be phantoms and
      fallacies." - Swami Sivananda