    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 5, 2001

      We have uploaded an discourse by Guru Maharaj Sri Swami Chidanandaji
      titled "How to Approach a Saint". In this discourse Guru Maharaj
      explains the various ways people have been approaching saints and later
      goes on to explain how to correctly approach one. This discourse is at:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/discourse/apr2001.htm

      A SURPRISE GIFT: Sri John D'Cruz was hesitating to ask for a copy of the
      book, Diamond Jubilee Commemoration Volume. He had no money. A very
      diligent and earnest aspirant, yet God had placed him in poor
      circumstances.

      The Master quickly perceived his immediate hunger to peruse this
      beautiful volume.

      "Padmanabhanji, bring a copy of the Diamond Jubilee Commemoration Volume
      for D'Cruzji."

      D'Cruz was beside himself with joy. He modestly asked the Master, "Is
      this volume for me, Swamiji? It is such a costly and precious book."

      "Of course it is for you, my dear D'Cruzji. The book is not worth
      anything to me in terms of money. You are more valuable to me than
      money. And if the book elevates you, I am much more satisfied than if
      you had paid me a hundred rupees in return for it."

      "Saints are people who try to break your delusion, who try to destroy
      your ignorance and clinging. They try to give you something which is
      more than anything this universe can ever boast or claim to be able to
      give you. They give you something which no object in this universe, no
      person, no king, no experience, not even all the persons, experiences
      and objects of this universe put together can give or even approach...
      such a great grand and glorious thing. They live to give and so we must
      try to know this fact about holy people, the saints and the mahatmas. We
      go to them for that which the world cannot give and ask for the highest
      from a saint and seek to be related to him in the plane of spirit, in
      the place of the soul, but not in the place of this material world." -
      Swami Chidananda