    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14 8:05 AM

      We have uploaded a book by Gurudev Sri Swami Sivanandaji titled "The
      Philosophy and Significance of Idol Worship". In this book Sri Gurudev
      explains the rationale behind idol worship and the significance of the
      various items used in worship. This book has the following sections:
      a) Worship of the Image
      b) The Temple
      c) Glory of Prasad
      d) Philosophy of Hindu Symbols
      e) The Siva Linga
      f) Faith And Idol Worship

      This book can be downloaded from:
      http://www.SivanandaDlshq.org/download/download.htm#idolworship

      Information for the upcoming Summer Sadhana Retreat and Yoga Teacher
      Training Refresher Course at the Divine Life Society of Maryland, USA
      has now been posted at:
      http://www.dlsmd.org/retreat/retreatmain.htm

      The retreat is going to be led by Sri Swami Vimalanandaji, Sri Swami
      Jivanmuktanandaji and Sri Swami Gurudevananda Mataji at the Bishop
      Claggett Center in Maryland from 29 June through 5 July 2001. There are
      only 42 spaces so please register as soon as possible. For further
      information please contact Swami Gurudevananda at simado@... or
      (301) 432-4918.

      THE UNSEEN COMPANION: An old South Indian couple were on a visit to
      Rishikesh. They had remained at the Ashram for a few days and were
      leaving for South India. After a trip to Lakshmanjhula, they came into
      the office and prostrated to the Master.

      "How do you like these places? Did you enjoy your trip to Lakshmanjhula?
      Did you see all the shrines?"

      "Yes, Swamiji, wherever we go in Rishikesh, we discover immense peace of
      mind. We have never enjoyed this peace before. This Ashram is full of
      peace and bliss. There is no place like it anywhere else in India. When
      we think of the happiness that we derive here, our minds yearn to settle
      down here itself."

      "What about your family?"

      "We have no one else, only we two," replied the lady. "He also has
      retired long ago. We lead a lonely life. There is no hindrance. We can
      easily come and settle down here. He has already transferred his pension
      papers to Dehra Dun. We shall go to South India only to wind up the
      family affairs and then come here once for all."

      "H'm! There is no one else for you?"

      "No, Swamiji, only we two."

      "But you have forgotten the third member of your family--God. He is your
      constant companion. You can never be absolutely alone. God is always
      with you."

      "A concrete form is necessary for the vast majority for practising
      concentration. To behold God everywhere and to practise the presence of
      God is not possible for the ordinary man. Idol worship is the easiest
      form of worship for the modern man." - Swami Sivananda